Author Topic: Control Voltage Current Draw for OCXO?  (Read 350 times)

Offline t1dTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Control Voltage Current Draw for OCXO?
« on: January 22, 2023, 10:37:50 pm »
I have purchased an OCXO. The data sheet states that the unit operates on 5V and draws a maximum of 600mA, upon start up. The voltage for the frequency adjustment is +/-2V. However, the current draw for the frequency adjustment voltage is not stated in the data sheet. Should I assume this draw to be the same as the working voltage, as much as 600mA on start up? Thank you for your help.

Offline TimFox

• Super Contributor
  • Retired, now restoring antique test equipment
Re: Control Voltage Current Draw for OCXO?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2023, 10:45:44 pm »
Line 21:  the input impedance at the voltage control is specified as 100 k \$\Omega\$, wherefore the current drain should be around 20 uA at 2.0 V.

Offline t1dTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Re: Control Voltage Current Draw for OCXO?
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2023, 10:53:35 pm »
Line 21:  the input impedance at the voltage control is specified as 100 k \$\Omega\$, wherefore the current drain should be around 20 uA at 2.0 V.
Excellent; thanks Tim. I think that I have also been misinterpreting the control voltage as +/-2V. At a ambient temperature of 25C, the needed control voltage is +2V = ~0 adjustment. The control voltage can go up to 4, or down to 0 volts. This means that I will not need a negative voltage supply. That makes the design more simple.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf