Author Topic: Tektronix TDS3000 Oscilloscope Modules TDS3UAM  (Read 37960 times)

Offline circlethecatTopic starter

Tektronix TDS3000 Oscilloscope Modules TDS3UAM
« on: October 11, 2012, 06:47:39 pm »
Hello,

The TDS3000 scopes are getting a bit long in the tooth but I still like them. Extra features can be enabled with plug-in modules, most aren't that useful really but the TDS3AAM adds a few nice math utilities. Anyway, there is information scattered around the internet about a TDS3UAM module which enables all the features - I've just collected it together in the attached document, might be useful to someone.

Does anybody know how to clear the error log on TDS3000 scopes? I replaced an intermittent floppy drive (yes, very old-school) but annoyingly there is still an error message shown in the log (under Utility menu). I think there is a remote (GPIB / ethernet) command but it's not documented anywhere as far as I can see?

The following users thanked this post: wolfy007

Offline qno

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Tektronix TDS3000 Oscilloscope Modules TDS3UAM
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2012, 03:49:08 pm »
Try TekScopes@yahoogroups.com

Lots of repair info.
Why spend money I don't have on things I don't need to impress people I don't like?

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2012, 09:34:09 pm »
hold the cal button in the back while powering up the scope. tis unlocks an extra utility menu where you can clear the errors.
the set it again:  same procedure.

The trickery with the eeprom is not required. simply flash the latest scope firmware. Tek released a final build with all options enabled when they discontinued this line.
Professional Electron Wrangler.
Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

alm

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2012, 12:14:21 pm »
I believe this update added FFT, advanced triggering and some of the video features, not other options like advanced analysis (more measurements, statistics, advanced waveform math) or mask testing. I think it was just to make it competitive with competitors, not to stop charging $500 for an I2C EEPROM.

Offline circlethecatTopic starter

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2012, 08:05:59 pm »
@qno
Thanks, I'll try there.

@free_electron
Holding the cal button (on back of scope) during boot does enable the calibration option but I can't see any option to clear the error log. Was worth a try though, thanks.

@alm
Yes, you're spot on there. The latest firmware for TDS3000 & TDS3000B scopes is V3.41 which enables the TDS3TRG, TDS3FFT and partial TDS3VID functionality. The EEPROM trickery is required to unlock TDS3AAM, TDS3TMT, TDS3LIM and full TDS3VID. This trickery should also work for the TDS3000C which is still on sale - would be good if someone could confirm that.

Offline WigglerAway

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2013, 11:53:21 pm »
I'm digging up this post to add some new information to it.

I had a look in the oscilloscope firmware and found a couple of undocumented modules TDS3ENG and TDS3BTA.
TDS3BTA appears to enable beta functions but even more interesting TDS3ENG enables all features.

Since I had two original modules which were made redundant by the firmware upgrades (TDS3FFT and TDS3TRG). Instead of creating a TDS3UAM I reprogrammed a single one as a TDS3ENG. This enabled all the features without any hardware mods  :-+

alm

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2013, 12:18:57 am »
Nice find. I'm guessing TDS3ENG stood for engineering and allowed the engineers to test all features without fiddling with half a dozen application modules that don't all fit in the scope at the same time.

Offline WigglerAway

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2013, 11:48:03 pm »
Yes the actual description in the firmware is 'Engineering All Application Module'. I had a question over private message about the firmware format and though I ought to reply here as well in case it is useful to anyone else. The TDS3000 firmware updates had a 96 byte header and was then compressed in unix compress format (LZW).

Offline Netsniper

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2013, 08:53:26 am »
Thanks WigglerAway for your job!

Where do you find the firmware of the TDS3000, do you have make an extract directly from the TDS3000 of do you use the firmware files (V3.41) available from Tektronix site?
If you use files from Tektronix, how you merge files from floppy files?

I have try to edit the firmware file of mine DPO2000 but inside I don't find anything as "DPO2COMP" or other word about option...
I have make some key for DPO2000 options, but we can only activate 2 options at same time and 3 option are available...
I have two card with 24LC16 available and I have program the first with DPO2COMP and DPO2AUTO and the second with DPO2EMB. If I plug one OR the other, it' work with option inside, but If I plug two card at same time, the DPO2000 don't want to activate all at same time and it deactivate option card.

In the futur...I will send my post at the forum

Offline WigglerAway

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2013, 01:32:22 pm »
Where do you find the firmware of the TDS3000, do you have make an extract directly from the TDS3000 of do you use the firmware files (V3.41) available from Tektronix site?
If you use files from Tektronix, how you merge files from floppy files?
I just looked at v3.41 available online. I didn't get very far understanding the firmware update format, I stopped after I found evidence of the TDS3ENG module so never tried to understand the relationship between disks.

I have two card with 24LC16 available and I have program the first with DPO2COMP and DPO2AUTO and the second with DPO2EMB. If I plug one OR the other, it' work with option inside, but If I plug two card at same time, the DPO2000 don't want to activate all at same time and it deactivate option card.
The 24LC16 doesn't have the hardware address lines connected internally so can't support more than one part on the bus. If they are both connected, they will both try to respond to the master at the same time (and fail).

Offline voltsandjolts

• Supporter
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2013, 10:23:29 pm »

Looks like the TDS3000 and TDS3000B scopes might be the same hardware for all bandwidths.
Strings on firmware disk 3:

Could Not Program Instrument Model as Commanded:  HW is TDS 30X4B.
Could Not Program Instrument Model as Commanded:  HW is TDS 30X2B.
Could Not Program Instrument Model as Commanded:  HW is TDS 30X4 (No Suffix).
Could Not Program Instrument Model as Commanded:  HW is TDS 30X2 (No Suffix).

Where X is the bandwidth designation.
Would be nice to make a TDS3014 into a TDS3054, hmm, I wonder what those commands are....

Offline drsurfer

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2013, 08:28:17 am »
Hi all, this is my first post here.  8)

I found this thread by chance and  I have some questions.

I'm trying to build a module to enable  DPO2COMP and DPO2EMBD features of my MSO2024 scope, according the info I found online, mainly on http://forum.tsebi.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=113

My first attempt has failed  :-BROKE, I suspect my SIM card connector is not working properly because its position is wrong. I have no access to a dummy module: I've never seen one up close, so my first request is if anyone has a mechanical drawing or, at least, accurate measurements of it.
I have access to a 3D printer, and I could replicate the plastic shell o the module.
I could take some measurements from images found here and there, but there are many views missing, and the result would be much more less accurate.

The second question is related to the EEprom contents.
I've noticed that in the hex file from the PDF in the first message of this thread, beside the strings with the module name, there is a (fake ?) version number.
I wonder if this is required for my scope and/or modules, too.

Thanks.

Offline digger

« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2014, 08:14:32 am »
resurrecting an old thread, sorry guys..

I had a look in the oscilloscope firmware and found a couple of undocumented modules TDS3ENG and TDS3BTA.
TDS3BTA appears to enable beta functions but even more interesting TDS3ENG enables all features.

Yes the actual description in the firmware is 'Engineering All Application Module'. I had a question over private message about the firmware format and though I ought to reply here as well in case it is useful to anyone else. The TDS3000 firmware updates had a 96 byte header and was then compressed in unix compress format (LZW).

hell yeah, WigglerAway. thanks! i heard of the existence of some master key, and i was getting frustrated trying to unpack the tds3000 fw.
then i came across this thread... :)

out of curiosity, has anyone found master/engineer keys for other tek scope series?  e.g. DPO2xxxx (maybe DPO2ENGR? idk)

Hi all, this is my first post here.  8)

I found this thread by chance and  I have some questions.

I'm trying to build a module to enable  DPO2COMP and DPO2EMBD features of my MSO2024 scope, according the info I found online, mainly on http://forum.tsebi.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=113

My first attempt has failed  :-BROKE, I suspect my SIM card connector is not working properly because its position is wrong. I have no access to a dummy module: I've never seen one up close, so my first request is if anyone has a mechanical drawing or, at least, accurate measurements of it.
I have access to a 3D printer, and I could replicate the plastic shell o the module.
I could take some measurements from images found here and there, but there are many views missing, and the result would be much more less accurate.

in the extremely unlikely event that you still care, i can measure the blank/dummy module for you. let me know

The second question is related to the EEprom contents.
I've noticed that in the hex file from the PDF in the first message of this thread, beside the strings with the module name, there is a (fake ?) version number.
I wonder if this is required for my scope and/or modules, too.

Thanks.

yeah, i was wondering about this, too...
can someone please paste a dump of a legit TDS3xxx module just so we can see what it looks like?

thanks!

Offline Lunasix

• Regular Contributor

Offline digger

« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2014, 09:08:49 am »
cool, unpacked tds3000c fw update,

TDS3BTA  Beta Test Application Module
TDS3ENG  Engineering All Application Module
TDS3XXX  Advanced Unknown Application Module

i wonder if that last one actually does anything if you load it up

Offline Lunasix

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2014, 09:10:43 am »
It will ask you to update the fimware of the scope, as it doesn't know what to do with.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2014, 09:41:15 am by Lunasix »

Offline hafrse

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2014, 02:38:34 pm »
Hi,

Wher can I find the HEX string for the TDS3ENG ?
thanks in advance!
George

Offline voltsandjolts

• Supporter
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2014, 05:21:09 pm »
I haven't tried this myself (see attached .hex)  but I think this should work.
Its just a modification of the HEX file in the first post here.

Offline hafrse

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2014, 08:07:14 am »
Thanks for the infomration
« Last Edit: December 14, 2014, 08:09:47 am by hafrse »

Offline cncjerry

• Supporter
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2015, 05:35:21 am »
wow, what a deal.  I followed the PDF and bought a pack of 24C16 chips for like $5USD shipped.  Not wanting to wait for the programmer I also ordered to get here, i coded an Arduino UNO to program the 24C16.  I soldered jumpers on the sim carrier and have my 24c16 on a breadboard. 

The scope enables TDS3AAM, the one I wanted, but says there is a version error on the others.  All versions are coded as v1.00 in the hex file.  Any ideas what needs to be changed or valid versions?  My scope is running 3.41, I believe.

Thanks, AAM is pretty cool.  I wouldn't mind having the masking modules enabled. I will try programming the TDS3ENG to see if that works as well.

Jerry

Offline cncjerry

• Supporter
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2015, 05:56:13 am »
Coding TDS3ENG hit the jackpot.  People hack the RIGOLs and gain about $500 in features; hack the TDS3000 series and it is about 10x that or more.

Application modules detected:
* TDS3TRG        Advanced Trigger
* TDS3VID         Extended Video
* TDS3FFT         FFT
* TDS3AAM        Advanced Analysis
* TDS3LIM         Limit Test
* TDS3TMT        Telecom Mask Test
* TDS3BTA         Beta Enabled
* TDS3SDI         601 Digital Video

The first three were enabled with version 3.41 software.   I'll probably regret having Beta enabled as I have no idea what it does, if anything.

The 601 digital video is extracted below:

The TDS3SDI module enables broadcast engineers and technicians to view ITU-R BT.601 digital video waveforms, allowing them to quickly verify source, timing and amplitude throughout any production facility. The module operates in TDS3000 Series DPOs, providing digital video engineers with a quick, single-instrument, portable solution for qualitative troubleshooting of digital video signals. The module's capabilities, combined with the portability and flexibility of the battery-capable TDS3000 DPOs, make it ideally suited for crowded video production environments, especially those hard-to-reach components behind the rack, and for testing remote video network components. The unit combines the qualitative analysis functionality of several larger units in a single, compact, portable instrument.

Rather than use a waveform monitor, video analyzer and digital-to-analog converter, a broadcast engineer can reach for a TDS3054 with the TDS3SDI module to troubleshoot video outputs or trace a signal. Thus, providers of video can quickly diagnose and solve the problems that keep them from delivering high-quality video products.

Offline aquaman8

« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2016, 07:47:53 pm »
Hi cncjerry,

I know it has been a while, but can you confirm which  hex file you used. Did you use the hex file that voltsandjolts posted in this thread on December 14, 2014 (i.e. tds3eng.hex)? If not, could you please post the hex file you used to program your eeprom.

Thanks for your help and your time!

Mitch
« Last Edit: July 16, 2016, 03:58:24 pm by aquaman8 »

Offline voltsandjolts

• Supporter
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2017, 08:28:36 am »
Looks like there are remote commands that can be used to upgrade your TDS3000 bandwidth.
Check this thread:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/tds-1000-2000-3000-bw-hack/

Offline darkstar49

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2017, 09:26:00 pm »

enclosed some info on the TDS3UAM, as the site has meanwhile disappeared...

But, as already stated earlier in this post, the TDS3UAM module (apart from the technical challenge) is a nonsense !!

Get your hands on a TDS3FFT/TRG (no longer needed as activated by default in the latest TDS3x fw), and overwrite the content as needed (TDS3ENG is the only option needed for TDS3x scopes).

These modules work in ALL non-MDO scopes where they physically fit... the nice thing with DPO3/4K being that the 'licence" can be 'transferred' from the module to the scope, so if you manage to reprogram it, you can enable all the options with a single module (one option at a time...)

Offline BenKenobi

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2017, 02:55:00 pm »
I'm planning 'this' the last posts seem to indicate that the existing modules can be 're coded' i.e. a TD3FFT can be reprogrammed so I take it that it's an EEPROM ?

If the module itself can be reprogrammed what's the best method to connect the pins of the module to say an Arduino - the Arduino bit I can handle, the reprogramming too but the other stuff needs some input from those that are more experienced. I don't want to dismantle the app module if I don't need to.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf