Author Topic: ThaiKit Curve Tracer Physical Placements  (Read 1763 times)

Offline watchmakerTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • Self Study in EE
    • Precision Timepiece Restoration and Service
ThaiKit Curve Tracer Physical Placements
« on: February 12, 2024, 01:34:36 pm »
For giggles I bought the kit and a Jameco two output PSU since it comes with the xformer.  Had to laugh at myself,   :palm: by the time we are done with the box, PSU, connectors and switches, the bargain kit results in almost 3 times the money.

I remember from my tube days that we had to be very careful about wire routing and shielding.  So the xformer is at the opposite corner of the box.

I installed the PSU and I have plenty of room for the CT board.  Given some of the noise complaints, would a copper shield be useful?

I never really understood ground loops other than they were undersirable.  If I tie the output grounds and the PSU ground to the one point in the case along with the earth, is that appropriate?  Jameco designed the PSU to float but I used a 3 prong power connector and plan to tie the case and output grounds to that.

THANKS!!
Regards,

Dewey

Offline Vovk_Z

• Super Contributor
Re: ThaiKit Curve Tracer Physical Placements
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2024, 02:37:04 pm »
Had to laugh at myself,   :palm: by the time we are done with the box, PSU, connectors and switches, the bargain kit results in almost 3 times the money.
Yes, that's a usual thing. That's why I tend to bye ready-made tools if they exist despite I am a DIYer.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2024, 03:27:52 pm by Vovk_Z »

Offline bostonman

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2024, 02:45:49 pm »
Had to laugh at myself,   :palm: by the time we are done with the box, PSU, connectors and switches, the bargain kit results in almost 3 times the money.

Is it worth the money or do you feel a better unit exists for the same amount?

Offline watchmakerTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • Self Study in EE
    • Precision Timepiece Restoration and Service
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2024, 04:50:24 pm »

Is it worth the money or do you feel a better unit exists for the same amount?

The Jameco PSU cost $35.  The metal box was another $20.  The line cord input  (fused and lighted) was $8 for 2. Add banana jacks, two on/off switches (W/ color coded toggle covers), bnc bulkheads and you are close to $100 for everything.

Is it worth it?  I have a BK curve tracer which is too big for the bench.  This is 1/2 the size of a DMM.  I like that it uses op amps which I am just learning about.  All the components are stock items.  I figure there are $10 worth of DigiKey parts?  It is the board that matters.

I just finished doing my placements  I am putting the CT board vertical on the side farthest from the PSU.  Scope outputs will be in the upper back right corner where the leads will be out of the way.  Switches and ECB jacks will be on the front right.  All of these make for 2 inch runs at most.  Could go 1/2 inch.  I will use disconnects for the front panel stuff; I gotta figure out a nice disconnect for the scope outputs.

The box I am using is nice.  The front and back panels can be removed and the top comes off exposing the other two sides.

I have used plastic parts boxes for some things, but I figure this might as well be "nice" rather than utilitarian.  Hint:  paint the INSIDE of the parts boxes.

Also a front panel power on LED in the upper left.

Gotta figure out nice labeling, but it is fun.  I likely will install a shield between the PSU and CT since I have so much room.
Regards,

Dewey

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf