Author Topic: Does this battery charging IC (TI BQ25713) support “pass-through” charging?  (Read 1124 times)

Offline ItsumiMarioTopic starter

Hey guys, first post! :)

My question is regarding the Texas Instruments BQ25713 buck-boost battery charger IC, data sheet here https://www.ti.com/product/BQ25713

What I am trying to achieve is this: I am building a device that needs to be portable, is about the size of a lunchbox, has components that have power requirements of 5V @150 mA and 12V @ 350mA (both need to be powered simultaneously), and can be powered in either a “plugged into the wall” mode and “unplugged from the wall” mode. When in unplugged mode, it’ll be powered by battery, and when in plugged mode, it needs to both power the device and charge the battery. I’ve seen this feature be called “pass-through charging” in the context of commercial battery power banks. Basically, the charging aspect needs to function exactly how most regular people use their phones and tablets: it runs on batteries, and when I plug in my ac adapter cable the battery charges and the device continues operating without any hiccups.

For smaller projects with less voltage requirements, I’d use the Adafruit PowerBoost 1000C, which elegantly combines a boost to 5V and has a load sharing charger circuit that lets you charge the battery and power the device simultaneously. But after tons of searching, I can’t find any equivalent board that does the same thing but for 12V.

So I’m thinking about making my own battery management board, and am looking for an appropriate IC that supports “pass-through charging” of lithium batteries and also boosts to 12V plus has all the battery safety features someone would need. (Also a nice bonus would be simultaneous dual output voltages of 5V and 12V, but not an absolute requirement since I could just split the 12V output into two branches and buck one of the branches down to 5V) Does the BQ25713 fit the bill? I’ve read the data sheets, and I think that it does, but I’m a noob EE hobbyist and wanted to see what you guys thought, or if you have any alternative ideas.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: September 07, 2020, 11:38:52 pm by ItsumiMario »

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
That is quite a complicated charger IC.
You can power the device from the battery, then whether it is charging or not it doesn't really matter, battery power will always be available.

Some features they mention: Two-Level Adapter Current Limit and Processor Hot Indication
But these are only relevant when pulling large amounts of power from the charger + battery.
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

Offline richard88

Hi,
  I'm also trying to figure out how to use this Pass-Through-mode to do battery charging. Were you successful ?
  I got the board but it's quite unstable, not sure if I did it right.
Thanks.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf