Author Topic: TL866II Plus with Macronix (MXIC) MX25L12873F  (Read 2365 times)

Offline EGGMAN2112Topic starter

TL866II Plus with Macronix (MXIC) MX25L12873F
« on: May 11, 2021, 02:25:38 am »
Hmm.. I read through quite a few threads but I don't see this chip mentioned specifically.

Normally I can read and write Winbond chips with no problems.

Now I have this Macronix MX25L12873F and it was reading with no problems with TL866II Plus and seems to write with no problem but then fails the verify right away.

I am pretty sure this is just something simple but I have to find out somehow.

I have attached photo and logs and maybe someone knows this write away....

Also there are 6 types of MX25L12873F listed in the Xgpro 10.90 Software. Its obviously not a SOP16 but I don't know if there's a difference between SOP8, WSON8, OTP SOP8, OTP WSON8.

Anyway I hope someone can help out!  :popcorn:

Offline BrokenYugo

• Super Contributor
Re: TL866II Plus with Macronix (MXIC) MX25L12873F
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2021, 06:18:52 am »
Doesn't "OTP" stand for "one time programable"? You aren't going to be able to write to it if it's write protected.

The following users thanked this post: EGGMAN2112

Offline TomS_

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2021, 08:45:57 pm »
WSON are "wafer scale" I believe, basically a bare silicon die with solder balls like a BGA.

SOP is very similar to SOIC but slightly larger (wider) body and pin spacing.

I'm surprised if there is a OTP version of these chips since 25 series are flash, so most definitely EE devices - unless they are made from chips where the erase circuitry fails during production. :shrug:

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2021, 09:05:11 pm »
Thank you all. I have researched more - it's definitely not OTP. It's not WSON so that leaves SOP8.

BTW This is HP Elitebook 840 G2 and I have done lots and lots of these with Winbond chips still on the board with no problems.

Now I run into these Macronix chips and they just don't program the same.

So I read the chip, removed the password, now it fails verify when writing back. Many are saying to remove the chip from the board for programming but I am not 100% sure that's necessary.

I thought the laptop was bricked but then I used the HP USB Bios recovery (WIN+B) and it reprogrammed the BIOS and booted up - however it has the dreaded "Warning!! Machine is not in committed state!"

So I am getting somewhere - now I have all the DMI tools but those don't work unless the MPM is in an unlocked state. Many are saying you have to re-flash with a clean ME to get rid of that and unlocking the MPM requires SMC blob which is not obtainable.

I guess its getting closer to having to remove the chip from the system board but I would like to avoid that at all cost. AS well HP has decided to change their policy about removing any BIOS passwords now even under warranty so its reprogram or scrap it as all boot options locked to UEFI network boot - go figure.

So should I attempt chip removal or keep trying to fix the vpro amt committed state?

Offline narkeleptk

• Contributor
    • Youtube
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2021, 05:06:54 am »
Remove the chip from board and your problem will be solved.

Offline TomS_

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2021, 11:21:33 am »
Many are saying to remove the chip from the board for programming but I am not 100% sure that's necessary.

Think about what happens when you clip your test lead onto the chip to program it.

The test lead is supplying power to the ROM, and probably a couple of other things on the board at the same time. You wont be able to guarantee that something isnt messing with the programming operation. Remove it from the circuit and you remove a lot of potential interference from the equation.

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2021, 07:30:17 pm »
OK So I removed the chip from the board and same issue.

Now I noticed something else about the programmer.

When autodetecting the chip I see Device ID: C2 20 18.

When I do a Read Device ID I get Device ID: C0 00 08

When I go to write the chip I get: ID error! Wish to continue programming, please cancel [Check device ID] option!

Why would the checked ID be different then the auto detected ID?

I don't have any other chips to try this ID function issue with right now but I am thinking the Check ID should be the same as the Auto Detect Database ID.

BTW Thanks for everyone's help - this is a tough one!
« Last Edit: May 12, 2021, 07:33:36 pm by EGGMAN2112 »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf