Electronics > Projects, Designs, and Technical Stuff

TMC5160 keeps dying on 24V input

(1/4) > >>

semir-t:
Hello all,

I have custom board with 2 TMC5160 stepper motor drivers. The schematic is based on TMC5160 SilentStepStick which by datasheet states that the input voltage is in range from 10-30V. Attached is my schematic.

Board works great on 12V and even up to 18V as far as I can see it. But, as soon as I connect it to 24V (which is requirement) it doesn't work any more and the TMC5160 gets a little bit hotter than usual. After that even if I reduce the voltage and try it on 12V it doesn't work any more.

Did anyone else had this problem and any idea what could be wrong on my board ?

moffy:
1. You could try powering VSA from a supply separate from the motor supply, to see if noise from the motor supply is affecting it.
2. On your schematic I didn't see a 100nF capacitor, should be ceramic preferably surface mount, connected to the 24V supply or VS near the chip. It is shown on the basic application, you have 10u & 1u but lower value caps have higher frequency performance. Proximity to the chip is usually important also.
Just some thoughts.

semir-t:
Thanks for the reply,

1. I noticed that after the boards were produced. This is something that I am thinking for the next spin of the board but at the moment I am trying to figure out what could be causing this. For me personally, internal LDO should be fine with 24V as the chip is graded to lot higher. I also have mounted heat-sink.
2. The 10u and 1u are close to the chip. To be honest based on the clip () I didn't place 100nF but 10u and 1u. Prof. Eric explains on 55:55 about this. It is not a problem for me to add the 100nF as well and test it but I am afraid that if I connect it it will burn my chip and I have only 3 left.

Best regards,

Swainster:
I couldn't see the ePad on your schematic

semir-t:
ePad is connected to GND. This is how I created the footprint.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version