Author Topic: I2C RGB light sensor that supports at least 6 configurable device addresses  (Read 306 times)

Offline PsiTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Has anyone seen a I2C RGB light sensor where its i2c address can be configured with 3 of it's i/o pins?

I want to put 6x SMT i2C light sensors on a little PCB in a row as part of a test jig to verify the 6 LED on the DUT are working and are the right color, which means all need different i2C addresses.  I've been through looking at RGB light sensors datasheet but none had reconfigurable addresses for operation on the same bus.
Greek letter 'Psi' (not Pounds per Square Inch)

Offline mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
How about routing all  LEDs with an optical fibre or light guide into one sensor and lighting one at a time?
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Online PCB.Wiz

• Super Contributor
The OPT4060 shows 4 address choices, and you could try the swapped SCL/SDA trick to double the parts on a i2c bus ?

Offline MarkT

• Frequent Contributor
Not heard of that trick - does it always work?

Offline fchk

• Regular Contributor
Has anyone seen a I2C RGB light sensor where its i2c address can be configured with 3 of it's i/o pins?

I want to put 6x SMT i2C light sensors on a little PCB in a row as part of a test jig to verify the 6 LED on the DUT are working and are the right color, which means all need different i2C addresses.  I've been through looking at RGB light sensors datasheet but none had reconfigurable addresses for operation on the same bus.

Use a PCA9547 I2C Multiplexer. This splits out one I2C bus into eight subbusses where only one is active at a time. This allow you to have 8 devices with the same address - each on a single subbus. Selecting a subbus is also done by I2C, so no extra IOs are needed.

https://www.nxp.com/docs/en/data-sheet/PCA9547.pdf

The following users thanked this post: Psi

Offline PsiTopic starter

• Super Contributor
How about routing all  LEDs with an optical fibre or light guide into one sensor and lighting one at a time?

Thinking outside the box. I like it.

Use a PCA9547 I2C Multiplexer. This splits out one I2C bus into eight subbusses where only one is active at a time.

Cool, i might use that
Greek letter 'Psi' (not Pounds per Square Inch)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf