Author Topic: uBeam Ultrasonic Wireless Charging – A Familiar Fish Smell  (Read 74226 times)

Offline theatrus

• Frequent Contributor
Re: uBeam Ultrasonic Wireless Charging – A Familiar Fish Smell
« Reply #100 on: October 31, 2014, 03:15:56 pm »
Even if a phased array ultrasonic delivery system worked, the power levels needed to charge a modern phone would be astronomical.  :palm:
Software by day, hardware by night; blueAcro.com

Offline Artlav

• Frequent Contributor
    • Orbital Designs
« Reply #101 on: October 31, 2014, 08:04:25 pm »
First CRTs, and now this...

Offline idpromnut

• Supporter
« Reply #102 on: November 25, 2014, 07:41:30 pm »
From the both sides site above: Is it safe?  Well, it's what is used in pregnancies for imaging and the proximity detector on your car.   :palm:

"… safe like sound waves." … This guy needs to stand behind/next to a 747 rev'ing up to full thrust and tell me after that sound waves are "obviously" safe.  :palm:

Offline Richard Crowley

• Super Contributor
  • KJ7YLK
« Reply #103 on: November 25, 2014, 09:06:35 pm »
From the both sides site above: Is it safe?  Well, it's what is used in pregnancies for imaging and the proximity detector on your car.   :palm:
Ultrasound imaging of biological objects (including pregnant women) is direct-coupled and further aided by a viscous fluid with reduces the transducer to tissue impedance-mismatch.  It can not be honestly compared to sending power via ultrasound through the air.

Ultrasonic proximity detection uses infinitesimal signals compared to what you would need to transmit useful amounts of power.    :bullshit:

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #104 on: November 26, 2014, 06:07:18 pm »

"… safe like sound waves." … This guy needs to stand behind/next to a 747 rev'ing up to full thrust and tell me after that sound waves are "obviously" safe.  :palm:

OHS came to the hanger one day to inspect, and as it so happened Mackie had taken a newly rebuilt 09K50 out to the engine test bay 500m away. Their SPL meter went to 150dB when he got to the full power setting. They turned it off before he got to the afterburner test cycle though, they were afraid they would break it. We were sitting there saying "What noise".

Offline coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #105 on: November 27, 2014, 01:05:06 am »
Ultrasound imaging of biological objects (including pregnant women) is direct-coupled and further aided by a viscous fluid with reduces the transducer to tissue impedance-mismatch.  It can not be honestly compared to sending power via ultrasound through the air.

Ultrasonic proximity detection uses infinitesimal signals compared to what you would need to transmit useful amounts of power.    :bullshit:
The early medical ultrasound systems used a lot of energy, and the turbid fluids of the body can form some interesting random lensing effects. Combine those two, and people used to worry quite a lot about the sort of damage they might do. These days the energy is far lower, and damage seems unlikely.

Offline mikerj

• Super Contributor
« Reply #106 on: April 27, 2015, 09:56:25 pm »
Unbelievably, they have found investors dumb enough to part with $10 million to develop this waste of space.  I know fools and their money are soon parted, but I thought investors tended to do at least some basic research before parting with 6 and 7 figure sums.

uBeam’s Ultrasound Wireless Charging Is Real, And About To Be Really Funded

Offline eneuro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #107 on: April 27, 2015, 10:53:14 pm »
Unbelievably, they have found investors dumb enough...

This smile is artificial or she trains how to tell investors that it was  :bullshit: from the begining  :-DD

Hmm, let us guess what this hard science problem is -lack of knowledge?  >:D
To be clear, uBeam is still working on a hard science problem where unexpected setbacks can happen. There are plenty of reasons it might not be able to get as cheap, powerful, fast, and safe as Perry hopes. But if it does, uBeam could be one of the transformative technologies of our era. And that’s just the swing for the fences that investors dream of.

Why nowadays Examining Einstein—precise experiments using lasers in space , rather than those bloody uBeam with pink blondy girl image?  :palm:  :o
12oV4dWZCAia7vXBzQzBF9wAt1U3JWZkpk
“Let the future tell the truth, and evaluate each one according to his work and accomplishments. The present is theirs; the future, for which I have really worked, is mine”  - Nikola Tesla
-||-|-

Offline Riotpack

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #108 on: April 28, 2015, 01:03:33 am »
Just wack a charging cable at every table, 2x micro USB and 1 each of the 2 popular Apple ones.

Offline kjs

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #109 on: April 28, 2015, 05:41:35 am »
guys, calm down..... uBeam does exactly what the Vulture Capital in the US wants. If they pay themselves a good salary and make a lot of noise they will have nice 5-8 years and then move on to the next money-milking-scene.
I was VP of engineering and then CTO in such start-ups and 99.9% of these VC guys including their so-called technical experts don't have the slightest clue. That's replaced with greed, arrogance and ignorance. They make a shitload of money from just managing and spending the money which they are not responsible for. Who cares whether those forced into investing there (some retirement funds, 401K) make losses? The big thing is mobile and IOT is currently coming up. That it will take years before a cellphone manufacturer would bet the company on something new and unproven from a nobody doesn't matter. If you are not into mobile or IOT you won't get money and who cares whether that thing has physics against it? It sounds GREAT! I would say congrats to the founders of uBeam for successfully playing with the system.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2015, 05:44:10 am by kjs »

Offline eneuro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #110 on: April 28, 2015, 05:53:27 pm »
Just wack a charging cable at every table
WPT per room might work too, but forget about ultrasound :bullshit: ;)

Testing something similar now, but whole room ground heating copper pipes with water... connected to a few MHz generator and will see what happends.
At least copper will heat air in the room-if it will provide WPT electricity to small devices ~1m above ground the better  :phew:

Anyway no plans to visit TED-I haven't got private jet yet and hate fly commercial airplanes full of depressed pilots  >:D
But I have quite big yard behind house, so CNN, BBC,Discovery science will be able visit me in their helicopters at home at see how it works in practice :-DD
« Last Edit: April 28, 2015, 05:57:00 pm by eneuro »
“Let the future tell the truth, and evaluate each one according to his work and accomplishments. The present is theirs; the future, for which I have really worked, is mine”  - Nikola Tesla
-||-|-

Offline EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #111 on: April 29, 2015, 05:40:53 am »
Update:
Talk of $50M+ funding in the next round:
http://techcrunch.com/2015/04/26/kill-the-cord/
 :palm:
Note that Techcrunch are an investor in Ubeam, so yeah, totally impartial article.
And still nothing demoed since the laughable veroboard prototype demo.

Offline eneuro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #112 on: April 29, 2015, 01:57:01 pm »
http://techcrunch.com/2015/04/26/kill-the-cord/#.gnavhq:Ghpj
You have to click uBeam on right in oryginal link to see that Ubeam "inventors" probbaly are able to change the laws of physics to make it happen  :-DD
They wrote:
Our engineering team is comprised of world-class multidisciplinary inventors, where the word “impossible” is not part of our lexicon.

Anyway, on this template page: http://ubeam.com/company/  we can see another executive team members with... the same crappy photos cut and paste (ok-slightly different view on 2nd photo) from I've posted above from another article, where it looks like future CEO woke up in the middle of the night with this "great" idea (notice probably this CEO photo was made in the.. bedroom on second plane  ???) and this was published later in "official" ubeam.com web page linked above  :palm:

Other executive team VP images also looks like were made in a very not proffesional way, eg.  VIP Paul with shadows on the yellow wall, because of lack of good light to make this photo  :palm:
If I didn't missed anything from ubeam.com template web page those three (yep 3 photos) are the only published on their "website".

What can I say-nothing I'm speachless now after visiting uBeam  :bullshit: official web page?  :o

BTW: Now realized that CEO face is actually square image and their web page designer was very creative to... change its shape to circle  :-DD
However, this domain could be available for sale soon, while they paid for this domain only up to AD 2017  and this idea is probably 10 years old, while uBeam domain name was registered AD 2005, but ok it could be taken by someone else before >:D
http://reports.internic.net/cgi/whois?whois_nic=ubeam.com&type=domain
Domain Name: UBEAM.COM
   Registrar: GODADDY.COM, LLC
   Sponsoring Registrar IANA ID: 146
   Whois Server: whois.godaddy.com
   Referral URL: http://registrar.godaddy.com
   Name Server: NS75.DOMAINCONTROL.COM
   Name Server: NS76.DOMAINCONTROL.COM
   Status: clientDeleteProhibited http://www.icann.org/epp#clientDeleteProhibited
   Status: clientRenewProhibited http://www.icann.org/epp#clientRenewProhibited
   Status: clientTransferProhibited http://www.icann.org/epp#clientTransferProhibited
   Status: clientUpdateProhibited http://www.icann.org/epp#clientUpdateProhibited
   Updated Date: 24-mar-2014
   Creation Date: 06-oct-2005
   Expiration Date: 24-mar-2017

« Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 02:03:53 pm by eneuro »
-||-|-

Offline chicken

• Frequent Contributor
  • Rusty Coder
« Reply #113 on: April 29, 2015, 07:06:09 pm »
where it looks like future CEO woke up in the middle of the night with this "great" idea (notice probably this CEO photo was made in the.. bedroom on second plane  ???)
How the CEO looks, how professional their head shots are, or when their domain expires has nothing to do with the viability of their invention. Stick to physics and electronics, there's plenty of questionable material there.

Offline Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #114 on: April 30, 2015, 11:50:30 am »
Seems its 17KHZ. For teenagers and could be in a street near you.

http://www.movingsoundtech.com/
Not just teenagers. Plenty of young adults can hear that high. I'm 33 and can hear a cheap speaker connected to a signal generator running at that frequency. A proper tweeter connected to a power amplifier would be unbearable.

Offline Delta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #115 on: June 24, 2015, 07:20:59 am »
Here's a good little article about this scam, a bit less technical than Dave's debunking, but a bit more businessey.  "people think that because they have money, they can buy their way out of basic physics.  Not so.  Physics always wins in the end."

http://lookatmeimdanny.tumblr.com/post/101432017159/how-putting-10m-into-ubeam-illustrates-everything

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #116 on: July 30, 2015, 12:46:33 am »
WARNING: Reading the title of this article might ruin your day, or cause you to compulsively bash your head against the desk:

http://fortune.com/2015/07/29/ubeam-meredith-perry-wireless-charging/

and finally a photo of the prototype:
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 12:55:05 am by EEVblog »

Offline timofonic

• Frequent Contributor
  • Eternal Wannabe Geek
« Reply #117 on: July 30, 2015, 01:56:22 am »
WARNING: Reading the title of this article might ruin your day, or cause you to compulsively bash your head against the desk:

My cynist inside myself makes me very happy. They are going to scam riches (at least the stupidest ones) at least the money will move to younger scammers.

And maybe this will make a nice novel and a movie...

Offline LabSpokane

• Super Contributor
« Reply #118 on: July 30, 2015, 02:47:03 am »
My favorite Marc Andreessen quotes:

She’s executing very well. Now, ninety percent of her bandwidth is on short-term stuff, but she has a very broad, expansive vision for what follows.

Marc, can I have a job?  Or at least can I have $13M? I won't give you wireless charging, but my personally-funded projects show more progress than Meredith's.  How in the *&^!? can you give someone that kind of dough, get NOTHING in over four years, and still consider their job performance as "very well?"  Meredith won't show you a prototype?  Meredith hasn't even shown up on your doorstep to personally thank you and to demonstrate work-in-progress?  That's a great investment?!! 

Oh, yeah, I remember now.  There's a second round of funding coming and you can't wait to get your money out of this loser.

I’d put uBeam in what I call the Harry Potter world.

Finally, something about uBeam we all can agree with.  It's only viable in a fictional world.  Well said, Mr. Andreessen.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 06:11:58 pm by LabSpokane »

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #119 on: July 30, 2015, 03:03:17 am »
I'm not sure how the press never pick up my blog post on it. For me it's #3 on google search for "ubeam"

Online bookaboo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #120 on: July 30, 2015, 07:04:27 am »
I'm not sure how the press never pick up my blog post on it. For me it's #3 on google search for "ubeam"

Lazy journalism, the "wireless phone charging", "exciting startup", "young female entrepreneur" and "next Elon Musk" stuff is all excellent click bait. It would be a brave journalist that would stick his neck out and make the unpopular "bs" call, plus he would have to get it past his editor.
Still, if I were you I'd fire off some emails offering an interview on the subject - you never know.

Offline timofonic

• Frequent Contributor
  • Eternal Wannabe Geek
« Reply #121 on: July 30, 2015, 07:13:53 pm »

Are you sure they don't know it's an scam? This is a scamming plot, with different parts involved.

It happened before... ;)

Offline eneuro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #122 on: July 30, 2015, 10:48:55 pm »
Probably they spend all investors money to make this photo of... yellow sheet of paper, what ever it is, it must be something worth to see  :-DD

Nope, it looks like CEO of company who invested milions of virtual money doesn't have professional photograph and it looks like she made photo of this "prototype" using crappy phone, since this  :bullshit: PCB is on glass table on top of.... beer cans?  ???    :palm:

Anyway, when I change parts of this article and exchange  u :bullshit: name with.... it now makes more sense  >:D
The idea? Charge the battery of an electronic device from across the room—no wires necessary. The company is Eneur*o, based in Europe. And the man behind it all is Electric Neuron, its brilliant, ambitious, and occasionally overwhelming co-founder and CEO.

>:D
Yep, I really need charge the battery of my RF wall radio switch, so... a few small PV solar cells will do the job-they are cheap and no need to mess with bloody sound  :popcorn:
No wires necessary and better no need to even think about  u :bullshit:  idea like hipersonic charging  :--

BTW: She spend some money for better bed and now her room looks better, but...  :wtf: those messy NASA astronauts pictures means?  :palm:
I could understand one photo, but two similar images side by side-there is no creativity in this design and red carped on her bed maybe is fine for pink blondy girl, but she should watch more Bollywood hits to make her room a look worth to show on any website-maybe install webcam and change company name to uXXXu to make profits?  :-DD
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 11:10:37 pm by eneuro »
-||-|-

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #123 on: October 06, 2015, 02:07:41 am »
Another $10M bucks into the UBeam black hole:
http://fortune.com/2015/09/30/ubeam-wireless-charging-funding/

Offline theatrus

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #124 on: October 06, 2015, 02:51:35 am »
A company of that scale does not need a CFO. Where is the prototype?
Software by day, hardware by night; blueAcro.com

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf