Author Topic: Ukrainian IPN–DDS – Has anyone attempted to build this?  (Read 879 times)

Offline Chris56000Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Hi!

I came across this "Ameteur Power Supply and DDS Generator" called "IPN–DDS", which I found here:–

https://sxem.org/2-vse-stati/19-istochniki-pitaniya/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=89&catid=20&Itemid=162

. . .and there are a number of niggling questions I have about it, which are :–

1) What is Switch labelled "Ss3" on the front panel drawing for? I can't find it on the circuit diagrams supplied!

What transformer ratings were used in the prototype? I've found four or five You Tube Videos featuring this, and every one had a comment asking about the transformer that wasn't answered by the project author!

Is the NE7555 used here as a monostable or a linear amplifier? I'm sure I read somewhere that the '7555 can be used as an amplifier, but goodness knows where I found that, it's too many years ago I read it!

If anyone's built this instrument and can show some more pictures or share details of what transformer(s) they used I would be very grateful!

I've ordered the PCBs to build this from JLC and some answers would help me complete this!

Chris Williams
It's an enigma that's what it is!! This thing's not fixed because it doesn't want to be fixed!!

Offline CJay

• Super Contributor
Re: Ukrainian IPN–DDS – Has anyone attempted to build this?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2022, 05:44:29 pm »
That transformer looks like unobtanium, I suspect it's been scavenged or salvaged from somewhere

Seem to remember JPG electronics in Chesterfiled had some VCR transformers with multi secondaries.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2022, 06:39:47 pm »
Winding your own transformer isn't too hard, I've done it a few times using cores I got from Alphacore.

Offline CJay

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2022, 05:41:23 am »
Winding your own transformer isn't too hard, I've done it a few times using cores I got from Alphacore.

It's not, what's more difficult is getting hold of the cores in the UK, They seem to have been discontinued pretty much everywhere that will sell you one off quantities.

Offline Codemonkey

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2022, 08:49:42 am »
If you're struggling to get a transformer, it might be worth trying Trans-tronic Ltd (incidentally, also based in Chesterfield). A company I used to work for bought most of their wound components from them and we frequently had one off transformers custom wound. It helped that we were literally within walking distance of their unit and its overwhelming smell of transformer varnish! No idea what the cost was, and i'm going back about 20 years, but they're still going! You might even be able to get cores from them.

Offline Chris56000Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2022, 10:39:18 am »
Hi!

So far, I've found a Drake Transformers 20–0–20V 1.1A component sold by a number of UK Sellers who all show "more than 10 available" in their listings that will do for the main 1 V to 28 V variable supply outputs, so I can quote that one in the components list, and I'm looking through the range of Chinese "R Core" style Transformers to find something suitable and economical for the remainder, and I have noted that the price of these transformers on eBay has risen alarmingly – over double what they used to be! Is that thanks to the rotten Brexit nonsense?!

Chris Williams
It's an enigma that's what it is!! This thing's not fixed because it doesn't want to be fixed!!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf