Author Topic: uSupply Custom LCD  (Read 55603 times)

Online EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
uSupply Custom LCD
« on: October 19, 2017, 03:33:49 am »
Custom LCD proposal for the new µSupply
Comments foolishly invited

Offline nidlaX

• Frequent Contributor
Re: uSupply Custom LCD
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2017, 03:39:42 am »
Will the entire unit be produced by an OEM? Why not use a character or graphic LCD?

Online ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2017, 04:28:17 am »
I'd replace ON/OFF with something easier to read at a glance. Something like an outer circle with an inner filled circle. Not sure if this exact combination is possible with LCD technology.

Or dual back light color for ON/OFF states.
Alex

Offline nidlaX

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2017, 04:57:01 am »
Or dual back light color for ON/OFF states.
Maybe have a multicolor LED backlight for the output button? I like the LCD  backlight idea, but someone might want to leave the LCD backlight disabled while in use.

Online mariush

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2017, 04:58:21 am »
Looks ugly to me.

Might as well spring for a graphic LCD ...  128 x 64 pix lcd screens are not so expensive.

Might not be as big, but would look better.   CV and CC and on/off could be made with some basic red leds, by the side of the actual graphical lcd

example: https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/newhaven-display-intl/NHD-12864AZ-NSW-BBW-TR/NHD-12864AZ-NSW-BBW-TR-ND/1701279

« Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 05:05:57 am by mariush »

Online ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2017, 05:00:42 am »
Might as well spring for a graphic LCD ...  128 x 64 pix lcd screens are not so expensive.
Try to actually fit all this information on 128x64 LCD. It is not easy to do and have a good readability.

But I do agree, CC, CV, ON/OFF are better on dedicated LEDs. This is information that has to be readable from any angles and fast.
Alex

Online mariush

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2017, 05:12:21 am »
The set voltage and current (limit, whatever) and maybe the watts or some battery gauge could be in a smaller font where that white bar is in my previous post in the picture.  Maybe a 5x7 font or something, let's say 12 vertical pixels. That would still leave 52 vertical pixels to put the current voltage and current .. let's say 20-22 px tall digits, leaving 8-10 pixels for borders and crap.

For watts, either show it on the top bar, or maybe have a button that when pressed, you'll see the watts on screen... 

Or you could have a "white bar" at top and one at bottom and two numbers centered in the middle of the screen.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2017, 05:14:10 am »

Online ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2017, 05:16:18 am »
Only 20 times the price.
It also looks like the image is "approximation of reality", or whatever they like to put on boxes of things with displays. There is no way it look this solid in real life.

PS: I'd like to hear about your experience ordering custom LCDs.
Alex

Offline VEGETA

• Super Contributor
  • I am the cult of personality
    • Thundertronics
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2017, 05:38:46 am »
It looks so bad, I prefer a TFT even with increased price.

What happened to the project anyway? I thought the circuit with LT3080 used to oscillate.

Online ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2017, 05:41:39 am »
This looks strange because of color scheme used here and all segments being on.

It will look fine in real life. And I personally prefer segment displays, since they are easier to read.
Alex

Offline ebclr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2017, 05:53:35 am »
A bar graph on the button will be something very useful, I would set one

Also, I would add an independent H letter just after W , hot help on indicating watt-hour

ON top of the W will be nice to have a  mAH also to set milliampere hour accumulated, ( quite useful for battery relative works )
« Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 05:57:44 am by ebclr »

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2017, 05:54:13 am »
PS: I'd like to hear about your experience ordering custom LCDs.

Me too!

Offline Whales

• Super Contributor
    • Halestrom
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2017, 07:02:15 am »
Indicator LEDs for important modal information would be brilliant.  If you don't want the case/assembly hassle, then it would be nice to display the modes using large, inverted patches.

Slightly fuzzy examples attached.  Overall this is a bit too crowded, reducing the font size slightly so there are gaps between the rows would make things easier.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 07:09:24 am by Whales »

The following users thanked this post: Corporate666, alex89, julianhigginson, jpc

Offline Whales

• Super Contributor
    • Halestrom
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2017, 07:15:48 am »
Here we go.  Adding a little bit more vertical space between the three "row sections" makes it much easier to find your visual bearings when you glance at the display.

« Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 07:17:44 am by Whales »

Offline mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2017, 07:51:54 am »
Horizontal bargraph for current would be good.

You should also put the EEVBLOG hand logo on there, because you can.

I'd be really interested in finding out about the process of getting a custom display made - tooling costs, unit costs,MOQ, leadtime, design rules etc.
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

The following users thanked this post: ludzinc, Mr. Scram

Offline Whales

• Super Contributor
    • Halestrom
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2017, 08:39:53 am »
I'd recommend you make some 1:1 printouts and stick them to the front of test equipment you use all the time.  Things like the decimal points being hard to see become more obvious in context.

Offline VEGETA

• Super Contributor
  • I am the cult of personality
    • Thundertronics
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2017, 09:05:25 am »
But what about the project itself? last time I checked it I read people say the circuit won't work and will oscillate. Is there a new version or something?

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2017, 09:28:28 am »
I'd be really interested in finding out about the process of getting a custom display made - tooling costs, unit costs,MOQ, leadtime, design rules etc.

That's the plan.

The following users thanked this post: Fire Doger

Offline julianhigginson

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2017, 09:30:46 am »
Whales, That design looks great!

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2017, 09:40:43 am »
I think a bit more space between the lines would increase readability. I like the design outlined by Whales. The filled areas add quite a bit of pzaz. Mike's bar suggestion is a good one too.

What happened to the project anyway? I thought the circuit with LT3080 used to oscillate.
Not to mention the durability of "simple" LCD displays. They take years to fade or break.

Offline jpc

• Supporter
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2017, 09:49:23 am »
Whale's design with the greater spacing between character lines makes it far more readable. The original seems cluttered and confused while adding the wider spacing even at the expense of some character size makes a real positive difference to readability.

Offline mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2017, 09:49:31 am »

That's the plan.
:popcorn:

Are you going the "safe" route of talking to local distributors etc. or taking a chance & chucking some drawings cash at someone  from Alibaba & crossing fingers...?
I've been sort-of tempted to try the latter just for the hell of it.  The prices and leadtimes are so different from anything I've been told when talking to UK distributors.
I spoke to someone yesterday at EDS  who was talking 12-16 weeks, though I suspect that some of the Alibaba places quoting "3-4 days for samples" have a slightly different idea of the meaning of "custom", but there are some that list some more plausible leattimes of 2-3 weeks.
I really can't imagine that any Chinese place could survive with 3-4 month leadtimes. 
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2017, 10:09:04 am »
Whale's design with the greater spacing between character lines makes it far more readable. The original seems cluttered and confused while adding the wider spacing even at the expense of some character size makes a real positive difference to readability.
Character size isn't everything for legibility. User experience is as much an art as it is a science, and it is often very undervalued. I think John Kenny rightfully emphasized the effort that often goes into it and how important it is for the success of the device. Of course, if it's done right, you will actually never notice it.

Maybe it pays to get a professional with experience to look at the matter. There tend to be lots of knacks, tricks and pitfalls that take experience to know and take into account. Although I think Whales' version is a great improvement already.

Offline NivagSwerdna

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2017, 10:18:16 am »
What sort of minimum order quantity is there for a custom LCD? 10, 100, 1000, 10000, 100000000000000000000?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf