Author Topic: Water Tank  (Read 849 times)

Offline gsingh11Topic starter

• Contributor
Water Tank
« on: January 27, 2023, 02:49:51 am »
I am creating a water tank in which water is controlled by a microcontroller that uses an ultrasonic sensor to measure the depth of water. My idea was to fill and empty with a single pump. but bidirectional pumps are rare or expensive. so, decided to go with 2 pumps . 1 to fill and 1 to drain. I was using a dc wall adapter to give 12 volts to the pump, which has an output current of 6A. But now I am using 2 pumps so a single pump will use around 6A of current. I am not able to find any wall adapter that gives more than 6A. What can be the solution for it?

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
Re: Water Tank
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2023, 02:53:20 am »
I am not able to find any wall adapter that gives more than 6A. What can be the solution for it?

Just get a bigger power supply (not a wall wart). Plenty of 12V supplies for sale that output, say, 10A for little money (check Ebay, etc.)
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2023, 02:55:37 am »
I cant use it because I am making a college project. They didn't allow me to use a power supply.

Online pqass

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2023, 02:56:04 am »
Any spare/second hand [personal computer] ATX power supply can provide plenty of amps for your application.

Online themadhippy

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2023, 02:56:09 am »
What can be the solution for it
dont fill whilst draining

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2023, 02:59:52 am »
I can do that. Does a pump draw more current when it starts? So, it won't go beyond the rating?

Online pqass

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2023, 03:01:58 am »
I can do that. Does a pump draw more current when it starts? So, it won't go beyond the rating?

It will but depending on the power supply, the voltage may just sag for a moment on startup or trip-off.
You won't know until you try it.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2023, 04:25:26 am »
Do you need to run both pumps at once? If not then it doesn't matter if you have 1 pump or 100 pumps, if you only run one at a time the draw will be whatever one pump draws. Any motor will draw a momentary surge when it starts up but it should be minimal, most power supplies will tolerate a brief overload.

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2023, 07:37:16 am »
I cant use it because I am making a college project. They didn't allow me to use a power supply.
then you are doomed to stone age power generation technology that doesnt involve electrons flow.. wall wart is a type of power supply... btw you can make the said standalone psu to tuck on the wall using some diy/hack adaptation so it will look like an absurdly large wallwart... btw, another option to using 2 separate pumps for fill and drain.. you can use electronic valves piping to redirect water in h-bridge like configuration, so avoiding nonsensical condition, fill and drain at same time, and double psu wattage requirement. Ymmv
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline DavidKo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2023, 08:06:35 am »
Can you use aquarium pump?

Offline Njk

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2023, 06:24:00 pm »
It should not be a problem to generate enough energy in a student community. Think big.
https://www.humanpowerplant.be/human_power_plant/human-powered-student-building-plans.html

Offline cantata.tech

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2023, 08:02:58 pm »
Use thinner tubes, that will mean that you pump less water and that requires less current.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf