Electronics > Projects, Designs, and Technical Stuff

What can I do here please fellas?

(1/2) > >>

Hi All,

I'm in the process of replacing the power supply socket on a Asus eee pc 904HD netbook, which is ordinarily quite a straight forward thing to do. However this netbook came to me looking like it had been dropped on it's side,  the power socket was stuffed right back into it's hole and the socket itself broken. Not only that but a tiny SMD resistor behind the socket had been ripped off it's joints too.

Luckily I found the resistor rattling around inside the netbook (pictured) but this is where I'm stuck, as I don't know what the resistor is as I've no idea what value it is, and I can't test it as it's damaged and has no ends. There are similar looking resistors on the motherboard but they're all different values.

I've had a go at trying to solder the resistor back on but it's futile without it's factory soldered ends. I've also had a google for a schematic on this netbook but I'm not having much luck :(

Any advise on what I could try here please guys?

The resistor goes here, right behind the power jack socket.

The tiny SMD resistor on the right is the one I can't value or refit.



It doesn't look like a resistor.

Looks like it is straight across the DC input so not much point having a resistor there.

Could be a varistor.

You could try applying some voltage through a current limiting resistor and see if you can get what is left of it to draw some current. I would guess at around the dc supply voltage + 50%.

I agree it's not a resistor but I think it is much too small to be effective if a varistor at these power levels.
I suspect it is a ceramic capacitor used to decouple the DC input. (There are four other (brown) caps visible in the picture.)
You could probably run without the cap fitted but radiated interference would be higher.
If I had to guess I'd fit something like 100n 50v in an X7R or Y5V dielectric (avoid Z5U)


Ah ok.. Thanks a lot for help and advice guys. The board input at the socket is 14v if that helps any.

When trying another cap is it crucial to use an SMD one, or can I use a small 100nF through hole? I have a good bit of room in that area so I could make one fit.

Here's a couple more images of the other similar components.

Thanks again guys


if its decoupling caps, then you can replace it with through hole, no problem. and as jimmyc said, you can even live without having any.


[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Go to full version
Powered by SMFPacks Advanced Attachments Uploader Mod