Author Topic: What FCC certification test that I need to pass for project that I am working on  (Read 306 times)

Offline mgwalker95Topic starter

• Contributor
Hi,
I am working on a wireless charger that is also a wireless receiver(https://www.reddit.com/r/hwstartups/comments/1cbdw74/comment/l0ykgl9/), but I am not sure what FCC testing that I need to do to sell in the US. What where should I be looking? Should I contract it out? Can one of point me in the right direction? Also any feedback on the project is much appreciated!

Offline Smokey

• Super Contributor
  • Not An Expert
Nice looking product.  Did you have that case custom made?

Based on this random guy on the internet:
https://www.freepower.io/blog/the-challenges-of-designing-a-free-position-multi-device-system

... wireless chargers are considered to be "intentional radiators" by the FCC, so you will need Part15 ClassC certs.

Every device is different but for reference, I did a BLE wearable last year.  I passed on the first round and it ended up taking 2 days of test time and costing about $6200.  Failing would have required a redesign and retest at about the same cost.

I'm no expert, but if you are starting from scratch it's a pretty steep learning curve.  You can do some pre-compliance testing in-house but it requires some decent gear to have any real confidence in the measurements.  I was sort of surprised there weren't more companies offering pre-compliance services.  Hopefully you are in an area with at least some test labs locally.

The following users thanked this post: thm_w

Offline Smokey

• Super Contributor
  • Not An Expert
Ha!  I just saw that it looks like you posted the same thing to as many sub-reddits as you could think of. 

• Contributor
Thank you, I designed the custom case my self and had it CNCed at a prototype shop in china.

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction! I will look into Part 15 Class C certs!

I dont have any of the equipment, but I will look and see if I can find anyone who does pre-compliance.

• Contributor
I tried to post it in subreddits that I thought were relevant or ones where they would think its interesting.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf