Author Topic: What type connector is this?  (Read 2746 times)

Offline Its wednesday my dudesTopic starter

• Contributor
What type connector is this?
« on: December 02, 2021, 12:44:09 pm »
Hi,

I am trying to figure out what type of connector this is and if I can buy matching parts to crimp them on my own wires to create an extension cable. I would be grateful if someone can help me.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: December 02, 2021, 12:45:50 pm by Its wednesday my dudes »

Offline Doctorandus_P

• Super Contributor
Re: What type connector is this?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2021, 02:11:51 pm »
They look like pretty much standard dual row headers for square pins.

I'm not sure about the pitch though. It's nice of you to put a ruler into the photograph, but without knowing the units of your ruler it does not mean much.

Offline gamalot

• Super Contributor
  • Correct my English
    • Youtube
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2021, 02:15:09 pm »
I bet the pitch is 1.5mm.  ;D

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2021, 02:54:57 pm »
They look like pretty much standard dual row headers for square pins.

I'm not sure about the pitch though. It's nice of you to put a ruler into the photograph, but without knowing the units of your ruler it does not mean much.

The ruler is showing millimetres. So the pitch should be around 1.5 mm.

Why can't I find fitting connectors, if it is is such common header? Can someone point me to a shop where I can find female and male connectors to crimp on wires?

Offline penfold

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2021, 03:37:57 pm »
It looks to be a 'through board' style as if it's intended to be installed on top of another board, so you may not find a crimpable connector easily. It may be that the most elegent solution would be to have a small adapter PCB with that unshrouded header that mates with that connector that provides a more 'normal' wire-to-board connector... though you could bodge one together by soldering wires directly to an appropriately pitch'ed male header.

Offline EPAIII

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2021, 10:16:00 am »
What would really be useful is if you lined the zero of the scale with the center of an end hole and let us see where the fourth hole (3 spaces) lines up on the scale. You said mm so I assume each line is a mm and the numbered lines are cm?

What type of connector? Yes, it does look like a standard pin header style. Normally the pins are on the PCB and the female connector is on the cable. Perhaps your board was intended to mate with another PCB?

Anyway, I am going to guess it is not metric at all, but perhaps a 0.05 inch pitch. But the spacing of the two rows is also important so you should measure that too.

The 0.1 inch pitch is or at least was the most common for this style of connector. They worked well with 0.05 inch pitch ribbon cable and ID connectors which just clamped on the ribbon cable. Those connectors were almost always FEMALE, not male. But, of course, there was always the odd one that someone used; probably a special order. You seem to have either the 0.05 inch pitch or perhaps a metric pirch and I am going to bet that finding matching connectors is going to be a problem.

Female connectors are a LOT easier to find than male so I have solved the problem of connecting a cable to a female connector on a PCB or panel by purchasing a matching pin header that was intended to be soldered to holes in a PCB. The pin header was simply inserted in the female connector and I crimped another female, ID connector on my ribbon cable. Then that female connector just went on the other end of the pin header. It may sound insecure, but with multiple pins, there is a lot of friction and I never had any problems with it coming loose.

Another minor problem is there is the matching of the pin numbers on the two female connectors. If the same numbering sequence is used on both, there is no way to get all the pins to match numbers. So you need to make a chart plotting the connections from one to the other while also taking the sequence of the wires in the ribbon cable into account. There is usually some kind of mark on the connectors which can, at least, match the ends. But it may not be easy to see so a magic marker is your friend here.

I do not have the slightest clue where to look for these in your country. In the US I would direct you to DigiKey, Mouser, Newark, etc.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2021, 10:18:32 am by EPAIII »
Paul A.  -   SE Texas
And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
You will find that it has discrete steps.

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2021, 10:55:12 am »
Ok, thanks guys.

Can someone point me to a shop (preferably in Europe) where i can get female and male pin headers with this ~1,5 mm pitch? Those for soldering would also be fine. I was looking around and I cannot find fitting ones anywhere.

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2021, 06:43:33 pm »
A quick measurement using calipers and the first image shows 4 pins across 4.5mm, which would be 1.125mm 1.5mm pitch.

Given the measurement error from the photo (and the probably not 100% precise ruler), it’s probably a 0.05” (1.27mm) or 1.25mm pitch.

You’ll have to do more accurate measurements when getting down to pitches that small, eyeballing it won’t do.

But assuming it is 1.27mm (which is much more common than 1.25mm), they’re easy to find on major distributors like Digi-Key, Farnell, etc.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2021, 01:44:33 pm by tooki »

Offline gamalot

• Super Contributor
  • Correct my English
    • Youtube
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2021, 01:21:05 pm »
"4 pins across 4.5mm, which would be 1.125mm pitch"  :-//

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2021, 01:30:10 pm »
What is this comment supposed to mean?

Offline nali

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2021, 01:33:18 pm »

Look at the picture... how many pin-to-pin gaps do you count?  Clue: it's a bit less than 4 :)

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2021, 01:42:05 pm »
Oh for fork’s sake, you’re right… brain fart there.  :palm:

So yeah, 4.5mm/3 gaps = 1.5mm pitch.

Offline Watth

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2021, 02:08:18 pm »
Can someone point me to a shop (preferably in Europe) where i can get female and male pin headers with this ~1,5 mm pitch? Those for soldering would also be fine. I was looking around and I cannot find fitting ones anywhere.
My advice would be to triple check the pitch. But from what I saw, your ruler indicates a 4.5mm distance between the 1st and 4th pins' centers, a total of 3 spaces : so a 1.5 mm pitch. (other stating a pitch of 1.15 mm forgot that there are only 3 spaces between 4 pins).
Examples of online shops that (as far as I know) ship from Europe (inc. from UK, FR; DE; BE): RS, TME and Farnell. There you'll have to enter your criteria: 1.5mm pitch, 8 contacts, 2 rows, surfa&ce mount, solder pad pitch is 1.5mm too. Then bob's yer aunty.
Because "Matth" was already taken.

Offline nali

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2021, 02:13:22 pm »
Oh for fork’s sake, you’re right… brain fart there.  :palm:

LOL I'm sure that many of us have had that particular brainfart in our lifetimes... I know I have!

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2021, 02:20:15 pm »
Yep. Classic fence post error. :(

Offline gamalot

• Super Contributor
  • Correct my English
    • Youtube
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2021, 03:02:18 pm »
Yep. Classic fence post error. :(

I also learned something new, now I know this is called "fence post error" or "off-by-one error" in English. :)

The following users thanked this post: tooki

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2021, 11:53:51 am »
Examples of online shops that (as far as I know) ship from Europe (inc. from UK, FR; DE; BE): RS, TME and Farnell. There you'll have to enter your criteria: 1.5mm pitch, 8 contacts, 2 rows, surfa&ce mount, solder pad pitch is 1.5mm too. Then bob's yer aunty.

Yeah, went through those. I could not really find anything that looks to match.

Offline Watth

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2021, 06:23:27 pm »
I had a look, and indeed there's nothing like that in a 1.5 mm pitch. Weird.
Because "Matth" was already taken.

Offline EPAIII

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2021, 11:17:08 am »
It means two things.

First, he was dividing by the number of pins instead of by the number of spaces.

Second, he even got that wrong as 4.5mm / 4 = 1.125 mm, not 1.25 mm.

Of course, when you divide by the number of spaces you get:

4.5 mm / 3 = 1.5 mm

Both are easy mistakes to make.

And, of course, there is no guarantee that the 1.5 mm spacing is correct. It is just a good guess from the photos.

[/i]
Paul A.  -   SE Texas

Offline EPAIII

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2021, 11:26:43 am »
I know he is not in the US, but a 1/10 INCH grid was so very standard for so long that, even in Europe, there is a good chance that he has what I suggested it may be: 0.05 INCH spacing or 1.27 mm. And even in Europe that may be easier to find than either 1.25 mm or 1.5 mm.

Strangely enough, many manufacturers have "converted" to metric by just converting the inch measure to mm. So 0.1" becomes the METRIC 2.54 mm. So with zero retooling cost, they have become "metric" overnight. They have no shame!

Why can't a rule be laid down on the socket so that an EVEN mark, inch or mm, is at the middle of one hole and then we can see where the scale falls on the third hole over from there instead of just laying the rule down in the random fashion as in the posted photos? That would go a long way toward settling things.
Paul A.  -   SE Texas

Offline EPAIII

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2021, 11:57:16 am »
Hint:

https://www.digikey.com/en/products/filter/rectangular-connectors-headers-receptacles-female-sockets/315?s=N4IgjCBcoBw1oDGUBmBDANgZwKYBoQB7KAbRACYYwAWMABhAF0CAHAFyhAGU2AnASwB2AcxABfAuTAB2cghDJI6bPiKkKTVh0ggAkoLY5hOXuIkbIZABY40AExMgCdAHR0ArAB0QTMUA

That page is for 0.05" header connectors. I can not find any 1.5mm pitch ones. I tried two US sources, Newark (Farnell) and Digi-Key.

I take back my previous preference for it being 0.05" pitch. I copied the first photo and drew parallel lines on it and it is, indeed, very close to 1.5mm pitch. But finding a mating, male connector is going to be a real problem. I would try calling Farnell.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2021, 12:09:48 pm by EPAIII »
Paul A.  -   SE Texas

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2021, 12:50:38 pm »
It means two things.

First, he was dividing by the number of pins instead of by the number of spaces.

Second, he even got that wrong as 4.5mm / 4 = 1.125 mm, not 1.25 mm.

Of course, when you divide by the number of spaces you get:

4.5 mm / 3 = 1.5 mm

Both are easy mistakes to make.

And, of course, there is no guarantee that the 1.5 mm spacing is correct. It is just a good guess from the photos.

[/i]
1. We already figured it out.
2. I did not say that 4.5/4=1.25. I clearly wrote that it equals 1.125, but given that that's not a pin pitch that even exists, and that the measurement is imprecise (based on a photo of uncalibrated ruler, with unknown parallax error), that it'd likely be a 1.27mm pitch. Please read carefully.

Online Nominal Animal

• Super Contributor
    • My home page and email address
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2021, 01:38:33 pm »
I am trying to figure out what type of connector this is
It is a 2×4 surface-mount female pin header with 1.5mm pitch.

and if I can buy matching parts to crimp them on my own wires to create an extension cable.
I couldn't find matching male pins anywhere.  The only 1.5mm pitch connectors I found were single-row, or with specialized footprint.

This means you'd need to make your own.

Did you notice that the female header is only surface-mount to the board, the aluminium substrate board having a cutout for it?
This is what I'd do, because it would be reversible, but doable without any special tools or components: desolder that header from the board, soldering wires there instead, with a blob of high-temperature silicone (like gasket silicone) to keep the wires in place, well separated from the aluminium substrate board. 
Gasket silicone you can get from any hardware or automotive store.  Use RTV (room temperature vulcanizing) silicone with a platinum or tin catalyst; not an acidic one or with anti-mould reagents like in caulking silicones, since those may harm the board or components or the PVC insulation.

The other solution is to grab some 1.5mm pitch single-row connectors, for example JST ZH connectors (that you can get from e.g. TME), and modify them to work for you by making two 1×4 single-row connectors you can glue (plastic weld) together.  Essentially, you'd need to file or sand one side thin enough so that when pushed together, the row spacing is just 1.5mm.  Most of these connectors are PA66, i.e. nylon, with glass reinforcement; and for best results, you should use adhesives that are designed to bond Nylon 6,6 to itself.  A combination of JB Weld PlasticWeld and CA glue is known to work, and hot glue actually bonds well with Nylon, but takes a bit of experimentation and practice to get right.  Although, gluing them together isn't really necessary, especially if you use the 90-degree male connectors so the wires don't push against each other.

• Contributor
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2021, 09:46:39 am »
Ok. Thanks to all of you guys. So i will move forward with a self made solution. I was just hoping that there exist matching connectors, so that I can make a nice detachable extension cord.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf