Author Topic: Where do I buy iPod 30 Pin Dock Connectors?  (Read 1791 times)

Offline iamdarkyoshiTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Where do I buy iPod 30 Pin Dock Connectors?
« on: September 11, 2020, 07:02:20 am »
So I'm designing a product that uses an male ipod dock connector, to (shockingly, I know), connect to an ipod

As these are legacy devices but are gaining back popularity from flashmods, etc, the docking connectors are difficult to find.

I bought some breakout boards for prototyping from https://elabbay.myshopify.com/products/apple-30m-bo-v1ac-apple-30-pin-male-plug-breakout-board-compact-type

But I contacted them and they seem to have the same issue as I do.

The connector shown here is all I need:

Does anyone know where I'd be able to source these connectors from? Would mouser/digikey/arrow have them? What on earth do I search to find this elusive connector?They've got to be somewhere... I'd buy USB cables and rip the connector out but they're moulded to not have the pins I need...

Apologies if this post comes off as a fetch quest, but I genuinely don't know what to search for to track these things down...

Offline MosherIV

• Super Contributor
Re: Where do I buy iPod 30 Pin Dock Connectors?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2020, 07:40:46 am »
As far as I know they are not available from the listed electronics distributors.

Apple deliberatley choose or design things to stop people/competitors from interfacing to their stuff.
The last time (8/9 years ago) I was involved with developing for apple kit, the source for special connectors was direct from manufacturer in China. No idea who/how to find them, one of my colleagues dealt with that (I do software). Needless to say, when dealing with manufacturer if quantity is low they are nit interrested.

The following users thanked this post: iamdarkyoshi

Online oPossum

• Super Contributor
  • Very dangerous - may attack at any time
Re: Where do I buy iPod 30 Pin Dock Connectors?
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2020, 09:17:13 am »
They where made by JAE and are a variant of a JAE DD1 connector. Part # DD1P030MA1 for example looks like it will work, but is keyed differently.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf