Author Topic: Where do people buy switches and hardware ?  (Read 709 times)

Online MathWizardTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Where do people buy switches and hardware ?
« on: March 25, 2023, 04:20:39 pm »
I need some switches for mostly low voltage, low current stuff, like in hobby equipment I'm making like a Heathkit curve tracer. So for example 12 position, 2 deck rotary switches. Or 4P2T slide switches, or toggle versions.

Where do people get their switches, and other hardware like crimp connectors or banana plugs?

I'm bracing for it to cost $100 just for a handful of good switches, from real brand names. In which case I'll probably just get the toy switches off Amazon. They at least do have lots of double deck rotary switches.

What about semi-conductor switches, or low power relay's? Some switches in my current project I'm sure can  be replaced by mosfets or JFETs. And they do make chips just as switches.

When hobby people copy old analog tech, how do they get around using old, rare, expensive hardware like the switches (without reducing function too much) ?

Online WattsThat

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Where do people buy switches and hardware ?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2023, 04:50:29 pm »
When hobby people copy old analog tech, how do they get around using old, rare, expensive hardware like the switches (without reducing function too much) ?

They eliminate them - with solid state devices controlled by a $1 microprocessor.

The reason why decent, complex switches are so expensive is because they have become exceptionally low volume parts. When have you seen a modern device with a four or six gang interlocked mechanical switch deck like was used on Heathkit audio gear back in the day? Everything these days, for better or worse is touchscreens and i2c pots and encoders.

You want old tech? Cough up the cash or do without.

Offline edavid

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2023, 05:16:56 pm »
Tayda has a good selection of medium quality switches, although not the exact ones you mention.

Yes, if you need extra poles, use a relay.

Offline strawberry

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2023, 05:51:52 pm »
wafer switches
ebay ali..  sell russian or other clones
some come ceramic or plastic
contact plating might not be great(solder?)

Online MathWizardTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2023, 06:25:13 pm »
Yeah for now the idea was to just focus on the analog, but yeah maybe for control circuits, it's just as well to add some arduino level stuff, and push buttons.

But just looking up on mouser, 4channel SPDT switches in DIP package, they are like $20USD each, plus $20 shipping. Maybe SMD versions and breakout boards would be cheaper for me, but still. (still ~$15+sh just for the SMD chip)

I do have the money, but I feel like I'm being ripped off. These people don't have a heart. Imagine being a kid that's into hobby electronics these days with just allowance money.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2023, 06:44:58 pm by MathWizard »

Offline edavid

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2023, 07:22:55 pm »
But just looking up on mouser, 4channel SPDT switches in DIP package, they are like $20USD each, plus $20 shipping. Maybe SMD versions and breakout boards would be cheaper for me, but still. (still ~$15+sh just for the SMD chip)

Are you talking about IC analog switches or mechanical DIP switches?

If it's the former, for most purposes you can use a 4053 or 74HC4053 which is under $1 even in DIP.

Or just use a relay, also under $1.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2023, 03:22:08 pm by edavid »

Offline abeyer

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2023, 07:46:27 pm »
These people don't have a heart. Imagine being a kid that's into hobby electronics these days with just allowance money.

Somehow I don't think that most kids on allowance money are chasing after vintage style multi-deck rotary switches  :-//

Offline Terry Bites

• Super Contributor
  • Recovering Electrical Engineer
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2023, 03:07:40 pm »
You might want to reconsider the project.
The Heathkit tracer is a fossil design. Its going to eat cash.

Rotary switches are expensive and have been going out of fashion for a long while. You pay mightily for low demand parts.
Lorlin PT series are good quality good value stackable but hard to find.
Do  you really need 12 pole? I've seen "11 pole 2 deck" on aliexpress. Also resold at 10x real price on ebay and amazon.
The schematic seems only to use 11 poles?
If you're building for home hobby use you don't need high quality branded switches. If you sold them and/ or used it everyday in a pofessional lab then you'd use high quality.
Save your cash.

Electonic switching under digital control works great for very low current and low voltages. Eg up to a milliamp and 15V. On reistances typically are in the 10's of ohms.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf