Author Topic: Where to find isolated banana binding posts?  (Read 1764 times)

Offline ddavideborTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Smartbox AT
Where to find isolated banana binding posts?
« on: June 03, 2023, 03:09:08 pm »
Hi,

Does anyone know any supplier for isolated banana binding posts that not only accept a shrouded banana plug, but can also accept a bare wire ?

Example: https://www.aimtti.com/safety-terminals
David - Professional Engineer - Medical Devices and Tablet Computers at Smartbox AT
Side businesses: Altium Industry Expert writer, http://fermium.ltd.uk (Scientific Equiment), http://chinesecleavers.co.uk (Cutlery),

Offline Georgy.Moshkin

• Regular Contributor
  • R&D Engineer
    • Electronic projects, modules and courses on Arduino and STM32
Re: Where to find isolated banana binding posts?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2023, 04:07:04 pm »
I've found some "60270 pure copper terminal", but not sure if it have same feature of connecting bare wires.

Offline Faranight

• Supporter
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2023, 07:22:27 pm »
I'd be interested in this as well. I know that Itech uses such binding posts for their DC loads, but I have no idea where they source the connectors from.
I have some connectors that look exactly like the ones that Georgy.Moshkin posted. Not only they cannot accept shrouded 4mm banana plugs, they do not seem to even have an orthogonal hole  in the thread for accepting wires.
e-Mail? e-Fail.

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2023, 08:10:32 pm »
I found some a while ago. I’ll be lazy and just quote my earlier post about them:

So while reading the blog on E-Z-Hook's website, I came across this post from 2011:
Single panel mounts P/N 9280 and P/N 9282 now accept both standard and shrouded banana plugs. They are available immediately in red and black. Both offer a turret terminal connection.

Their product descriptions now read "Shrouded Banana Socket Binding Post, Turret Terminal"

Additionally, the dual version of 9280 (which is just the singles with a mounting plate) also supports shrouded plugs: P/N 9406. Its drawing expressly references the update to the 9280 that makes it compatible with shrouded plugs.

Digi-Key carries all of these, although only 9406 is an in-stock item, the rest are special-order only (but with a minimum quantity of 1 and lead time of 2 weeks, so still reasonable to order).

The following users thanked this post: ajb

Offline darius_

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2023, 08:12:50 pm »
Multi Contact SPK4 is the only that I could find. Seems to be available through RS: https://docs.rs-online.com/2631/0900766b8150871f.pdf

The following users thanked this post: Neomys Sapiens

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2023, 08:13:44 pm »
I've found some "60270 pure copper terminal", but not sure if it have same feature of connecting bare wires.
Those don’t accept shrouded banana plugs. Did you even bother reading the post?

The following users thanked this post: Someone

Offline Georgy.Moshkin

• Regular Contributor
  • R&D Engineer
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2023, 01:25:16 am »
I was wrong. Can't find any, but some generic models are very close. Notice the gap on below drawings. But it seems smaller than needed, and look not as robust as connectors from the first message.
EDIT: please check red marking on the drawing, I can't see this plastic part on the photo, there is some gap obviously.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2023, 01:33:05 am by Georgy.Moshkin »

Offline Faranight

• Supporter
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2023, 06:44:16 am »
Georgy.Moshkin, neither of those terminals on the pictures you posted can accept a proper shrouded banana plug. I have them myself.
Yes, there is some gap in there, but no, there just isn't enough space for the shrouded banana plug to fit in there - the hole is too small.
e-Mail? e-Fail.

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline floobydust

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2023, 07:12:05 am »

Cal Test Electronics has some CT4231 I find their quality good and prices high.

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline ddavideborTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Smartbox AT
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2023, 10:58:30 am »
Thank you guys !
The cal test look good! a bit pricey and only 3 colour available, but seems like a good option

Staubli are listed by farnell as not longer manufactured https://uk.farnell.com/staubli/23-0410-22/connector-panel-mount-red/dp/1116217
David - Professional Engineer - Medical Devices and Tablet Computers at Smartbox AT
Side businesses: Altium Industry Expert writer, http://fermium.ltd.uk (Scientific Equiment), http://chinesecleavers.co.uk (Cutlery),

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2023, 10:29:58 pm »
Thank you guys !
The cal test look good! a bit pricey and only 3 colour available, but seems like a good option

Staubli are listed by farnell as not longer manufactured https://uk.farnell.com/staubli/23-0410-22/connector-panel-mount-red/dp/1116217
The E-Z Hook ones I linked to above are cheaper. But only come in red and black.

Offline Georgy.Moshkin

• Regular Contributor
  • R&D Engineer
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2023, 03:00:59 pm »
I looked into it some more and found only overpriced old stock of something very similar to farnell. But... hole for direct connection of solid (?) wire connector doesn't look right. How bare wire is supposed to stay in that hole? Even if it's made similar to wall power socket, there is only single wire "pin". It feels that it either jump out or melt because of heat-up at poor contact point. Everything I've seen for such wire connectors had some mechanism to keep wire in place.

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2023, 03:10:17 pm »
I looked into it some more and found only overpriced old stock of something very similar to farnell. But... hole for direct connection of solid (?) wire connector doesn't look right. How bare wire is supposed to stay in that hole? Even if it's made similar to wall power socket, there is only single wire "pin". It feels that it either jump out or melt because of heat-up at poor contact point. Everything I've seen for such wire connectors had some mechanism to keep wire in place.
If by the Farnell one, you mean the Stäubli SPK4 series: what on earth are you talking about? Like any binding post, bare wire (solid or stranded) goes in the side. In the SPK4, I think it's spring-loaded, rather than screw-down.

Anyhow, I am puzzled why you keep participating in this thread (which is the search for a very specific type of binding post, which several of us have provided competent responses to) when you not only don't understand the specific thing the OP is looking for, but apparently don't even understand the basics of binding posts?!?

Offline Georgy.Moshkin

• Regular Contributor
  • R&D Engineer
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2023, 12:58:24 pm »
I understand how it works, and installed plenty of  similar non-isolated connectors, prepared gcode files and machined plastic enclosures by myself. I am interested in good looking high quality connectors for commercial projects. I am sorry that I somehow offended you. English is not my native language.
What I am trying to say is that it is strange to make safe isolated connector, and then put a "backdoor" on the side to insert bare wire. It may be more universal, but spring loading/etc. does not protect from non-isolated bare wire coming out accidentally. It is more logical to use some kind of plug which can be installed on wire with screws/etc, similar to DIY power cord plugs.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2023, 01:09:37 pm by Georgy.Moshkin »

Online alm

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2023, 04:32:17 pm »
What I am trying to say is that it is strange to make safe isolated connector, and then put a "backdoor" on the side to insert bare wire. It may be more universal, but spring loading/etc. does not protect from non-isolated bare wire coming out accidentally.

I see this as a trade off between safety and usability. Obviously from safety point of view bare wires or spade lugs are worse than sheathed banana plugs, so the best would be a flush safety banana socket as you find on multimeters. But from usability point of view it's nice to be able to use bare wire.

I have some equipment with semi safety binding posts that screw down but have spring-loaded insulation that goes over the part that clamps the wire or spade lugs, and frankly they're a pain to use and require more touching the binding posts than normal binding posts.

The way I see these binding posts as giving you a choice between safety banana plugs if needed and bare wire when using lower voltages. Just like how safety banana jacks can take both sheathed and unsheathed banana plugs depending on the needs.

It is more logical to use some kind of plug which can be installed on wire with screws/etc, similar to DIY power cord plugs.
The important thing in DIY power plugs is strain relief, I'd say. But that would make the binding posts even more clumsy, and you might as well use safety banana jacks.

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2023, 11:40:45 pm »
I understand how it works, and installed plenty of  similar non-isolated connectors, prepared gcode files and machined plastic enclosures by myself. I am interested in good looking high quality connectors for commercial projects. I am sorry that I somehow offended you. English is not my native language.
What I am trying to say is that it is strange to make safe isolated connector, and then put a "backdoor" on the side to insert bare wire. It may be more universal, but spring loading/etc. does not protect from non-isolated bare wire coming out accidentally. It is more logical to use some kind of plug which can be installed on wire with screws/etc, similar to DIY power cord plugs.
I think the point of these combined safety banana binding posts isn’t so much to be safety banana jacks with a secondary feature of accepting wire, but to be primarily a binding post, but with the secondary feature of allowing safety banana plugs to connect.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf