Author Topic: Suggestions for 24 VAC totalizer (event counter)  (Read 403 times)

Offline calzapTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Suggestions for 24 VAC totalizer (event counter)
« on: December 10, 2022, 06:54:48 pm »
Because of recent problems with a water softer, I’d like to keep track of when it cycles.  Softener is powered from a 24 VAC wall wart and that’s what the valve motor uses for power.   The valve motor is very accessible, being on top of the works and having terminal connections.  The electronic board would be much more difficult to access.  So, the simplest way is probably to attach a 24 VAC totalizer to the motor terminals.  The motor gets activated 6 times during a cycle.  So, I would need to keep a dated log of counts and divide by 6 to calculate the number of cycles in a given time span.  Keeping the log would be no big deal … I pass by the softener several times per day.

I’m pretty flexible on the totalizer other than the 24 VAC input requirement.   But I would like it to have low power consumption and not be huge.  Panel mount is preferred; but DIN-rail is OK.  Reset ability would be nice, but not essential.  Electromechanical or electronic are both OK, but if electronic, it needs to remember the count in case of power loss.  And of course, lower cost is nice.  Programmability and relay or electric outputs are not needed at all.

I’ve looked a bit on digikey.com, Amazon and eBay and nothing has jumped out as an obvious choice.  Specs of totalizers on Amazon and eBay are suspect.  So, I’d like to hear what folks on the forum recommend.

Mike in California

Offline Terry Bites

• Super Contributor
  • Recovering Electrical Engineer

The following users thanked this post: calzap

Offline TimFox

• Super Contributor
  • Retired, now restoring antique test equipment
Re: Suggestions for 24 VAC totalizer (event counter)
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2022, 07:44:07 pm »
Since you are in US, look at
https://www.mcmaster.com/totalizers/

The following users thanked this post: calzap

Offline calzapTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Suggestions for 24 VAC totalizer (event counter)
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2022, 01:46:41 am »
Thanks, Tim.   Looks like they have what I need.     Mike

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf