Electronics > Projects, Designs, and Technical Stuff

Why mark the top of electrolytic capacitors

<< < (3/4) > >>

vk6zgo:
With older equipment,it usually means that a tech chasing a fault has removed & tested the cap.
Except for very rare or expensive caps,if I remove them,I fit new ones,but other techs have other ways.
VK6ZGO

Uncle Vernon:

--- Quote from: ciccio on September 08, 2011, 09:43:11 am ---We test everything manually, that means that a technician  test the correct operation of the circuit, maybe with the help of a dedicated jig that reduces the number of connect-disconnect operations, and after a functional test he makes the eventual adjustments and calibrations.
He tests each control's operation, and the audio devices are all retested for "audible noise" and correct operation with music or voice signals.
The tested device are sent to burn-in and after it they are re-tested before packaging and delivery.
--- End quote ---
I wish everything was still done that way.
Sadly it's not just mass market consumer devices that are only sample tested, and its not just cheap devices. 
+1 to your test regime, say no to the throwaway society today.

nukie:
That's true, the marked capacitors I notice are from high availability server power supplies, industrial robotic power supply, and solar inverters in the order of 10kW.

ciccio:

--- Quote from: Uncle Vernon on September 10, 2011, 02:13:58 am ---I wish everything was still done that way.
Sadly it's not just mass market consumer devices that are only sample tested, and its not just cheap devices. 
+1 to your test regime, say no to the throwaway society today.

--- End quote ---
To my knowledge most (if not all) of the reputable Companies that operates in our market use the same "test politics".
In fact sometime testing become boring, because most of the time, thanks to the quality work of our suppliers doing board assembly, we have better than 99% of success in first operational test.
I know that this is not true for some Far East products, priced at about 50% of ours...  In this case the  operational testing is done by the customer.

I think that quality testing (married obviously with quality design) add a lot to product's life length.
Days ago I checked an intercom power supply that was made in 1985 by myself (then I was a single person operation) , and it needed only cleaning an some screw tightening.
The problem (according to my accountant)  is that this longevity precludes new sales...

Simon:

--- Quote from: ciccio on September 10, 2011, 05:47:16 am ---
The problem (according to my accountant)  is that this longevity precludes new sales...

--- End quote ---

but it gets you a reputation that gets you more sales, I wish my company thought like that. A friend of mine takes radiators out of cars 70 years old that are made by the company I work for. But nothing made today will still be working in 70 years!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version