Electronics > Projects, Designs, and Technical Stuff

Wire-to-board power connectors

(1/2) > >>

shadewind:
I've been using headers for most things but now I need a nice connect that can carry a bit more current. We're talking 4 - 5 amps or something like that. Any recommendations for connectors that are polarized and easy to attach? They should preferrably be common and easy to get. Small size and footprint is a big plus.

I'm also interested if anyone has tips about connecter that carry even more current, let's say up to 10A.

tycz:
Perhaps a JST part will suit your somewhat vague requirements (www.jst-mfg.com).

Psi:
I've used these kind of plug/socket for high current pcb connections before.
The screw terminals make them good for some applications and not so good for others.
But they can handle up to 15A

http://ca.digikey.com/1/1/36859-terminal-block-plug-5mm-2pos-ed950-2.html
http://es.digikey.com/1/1/81560-conn-header-vert-3pos-5mm-1755529.html

shadewind:
I looked at both Molex Micro-Fit and TE Mate-N-Lok and from the looks of the drawings... they seem to fit each other? Anyway, I went with Farnell's copy (Multicomp) of those connectors. On the other hand, I might go with screw terminals after all...

tecman:
Depends on your application, quantity, etc.  We use a lot of .1" headers for power distribution.  As current goes up, the trick is to parallel conductors, 3, 5 or even 10.  Since they are relatively low cost, they are a good solution for quantities.  You can get ribbon cable in 26 and 28 AWG, but 24 is also available.  0.1" headers are generally rated at 1 amp per contact, so the wire R is the limiting factor.  So amps are not a problem.  Higher current we generally go with a Moxex style Mate-N-Loc type connector.  10 amps is no problem with these.

Using the molded plug in style (combi-con), as shown by one poster, is a nice connector, but in relative terms very expensive.

paul

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version