Author Topic: Wireless network modules for ~50 clients sending 2-4kbps each over 1km square.  (Read 849 times)

Offline JacksterTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
    • PCBA.UK
Have a project where I have about 50 GPS sensors sending out location data and some other telemetry data.
Expecting a transmission rate of around 2-4kbps for each client as we need a polling rate of around 10-20Hz.
The aim is to have as low latency as possible with each poll.
There will be a broadcast (to all clients) from the base station so needs to receive ~5kbps.

Ideally one does not want to reinvent the wheel so I am looking for radio modules that could handle this sort of usage.
Needs to have TDMA scheduling or other multi-user handling so we don't end up with noise.
The range is around 1km from the base station max.

Probably looking at the 2.4GHz frequency so it can be deployed anywhere. This being outdoors and mostly away from built-up areas, I don't see it being an issue.
That being said. While WiFi sounds like a great option, I would prefer a solution where we can just set up a single base station with little to no config for the end user. Multiple base stations might be required on some sites. Each base station will also have a GPS in it for RTK correction (part of the 5kbps broadcast) and an LTE modem so the data can be fed back to the central command. So custom housing is already required.
LTE is not an option for each client either.

This is just a concept project for something else I have in the works (a hobby project).
Am I overthinking it?

Online Psi

• Super Contributor
NiceRF have a collection of radio modules that I've used before.
They have a store on albaba and on aliexpress
« Last Edit: March 10, 2024, 02:54:09 am by Psi »
Greek letter 'Psi' (not Pounds per Square Inch)

The following users thanked this post: Jackster

Offline whollender

• Regular Contributor
Sounds like a good application for lora

Offline jc101

• Frequent Contributor
The Wurth Thyone-I modules might be a solution, they can operate as a mesh too.

Unicast, broadcast and multicast all supported - with unicast there are automatic retries and it informs you if the receiver didn't get the packet.

They may send you a couple of dev kits to have a play with.

I've used the Setebos-I modules, as they can be set to run either in Wurth proprietary mode as a Thyone-I module or with Bluetooth 5.1 like a Proteus-III module.

Note with these when you change a setting, apart from RF channel, that is stored into flash - which has a limited life.  So use a read before changing a setting.  Once setup there shouldn't really be a need to change anything though.

• Frequent Contributor
    • PCBA.UK
The Wurth Thyone-I modules might be a solution, they can operate as a mesh too.

Unicast, broadcast and multicast all supported - with unicast there are automatic retries and it informs you if the receiver didn't get the packet.

They may send you a couple of dev kits to have a play with.

I've used the Setebos-I modules, as they can be set to run either in Wurth proprietary mode as a Thyone-I module or with Bluetooth 5.1 like a Proteus-III module.

Note with these when you change a setting, apart from RF channel, that is stored into flash - which has a limited life.  So use a read before changing a setting.  Once setup there shouldn't really be a need to change anything though.

I was actually looking at their Themisto and Thebe modules the other day.
"10-20km" range. I will contact Wurth about it and see what they think.

Wurth also looks to have Wirepas stuff. That company has some interesting mesh networking technology including some new "5G" stuff on 1.9GHz.
If it can handle the latency and throughput, their offering might be perfect. Hopefully, the licensing is not too bad.

• Frequent Contributor
    • PCBA.UK
Wirepas got back to me. Way too much data for their system.
I guess it is fine for periodic data but sending 2-4kbps per client is way out of spec for IoT.

Online uer166

• Frequent Contributor
Sounds like a good application for lora

I think this is too much BW for lora. 2-4 kbps x50 clients is 100-200 kbps on the base station. Unless you have a LoRa chipset per client operating at different frequency from everything else, not sure how you'd accomplish that.
Might want to look into HaLow Wifi, but the latency will probably be hard to control.

Offline vidarr

• Frequent Contributor
It could be done with ESP32 and LoRa, but that would be ridiculous. We built a mesh network using that in my neighborhood, but I am telling you, it is not worth it.

Just use WiFi. Everything is already done for you. Leave the network open and use a simple SSID. Add APs as necessary. There are millions of tutorials and videos about this. It doesn't get any easier.

edit: Also, you can find routers at almost all resale stores (Goodwill, Salvation Army, etc.). Last time I was in the USA, I bought a bunch of them for $5-10 each (and they were most recent units --not outdated crap).
« Last Edit: March 12, 2024, 04:45:49 pm by vidarr »

• Frequent Contributor
    • PCBA.UK
It could be done with ESP32 and LoRa, but that would be ridiculous. We built a mesh network using that in my neighborhood, but I am telling you, it is not worth it.

Just use WiFi. Everything is already done for you. Leave the network open and use a simple SSID. Add APs as necessary. There are millions of tutorials and videos about this. It doesn't get any easier.

edit: Also, you can find routers at almost all resale stores (Goodwill, Salvation Army, etc.). Last time I was in the USA, I bought a bunch of them for $5-10 each (and they were most recent units --not outdated crap).

:-DD

Offline bookaboo

• Frequent Contributor
The Brazilian gentleman took time out of his day to give you a pointer to something you can't figure out
Something he's achieved by himself.
Just saying.

The following users thanked this post: uer166

• Frequent Contributor
    • PCBA.UK
The Brazilian gentleman took time out of his day to give you a pointer to something you can't figure out
Just saying.

Pretty sure he is having a laugh with the two points I put in bold...

The only real solution when it comes to WiFi is either enterprise deployment of APs or HaLow.

That is not to say a single AP pre-setup is out of the question.. If needs must, a few APs with zero handoff, WiFi 6/7 would work well.
But I am hoping for a lower frequency, higher range solution to already be out there.

Offline LaserSteve

• Super Contributor
In the past I've used Laird Connectivity...

Steve
"What the devil kind of Engineer are thou, that canst not slay a hedgehog with your naked arse?"

Online ejeffrey

• Super Contributor
Just saying.

Pretty sure he is having a laugh with the two points I put in bold...

The only real solution when it comes to WiFi is either enterprise deployment of APs or HaLow.

You said:

This is just a concept project for something else I have in the works (a hobby project).

The following users thanked this post: Someone, bookaboo

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf