Author Topic: Working on Adj Current/Voltage SMPS Lab PSU. Questions...  (Read 3688 times)

Offline FenderBenderTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • The Solid State Workshop
Working on Adj Current/Voltage SMPS Lab PSU. Questions...
« on: September 17, 2011, 02:49:29 pm »
Hi everyone,

I'm kind of a newbie so if I sound like a moron, that's probably why.

I'd like to design my own switchmode bench supply that can be configured to have an adjustable current limit and adjustable output voltage.

I like National's Simple Switcher chips, as I've used an LM2576-5.0V once before and it worked very well.

However, I need a simple way to do this and I don't want to use an L200c for that would mean huge transformer, huge heatsinks, and a big pricetag. At which point a commercial PSU is probably the best option. I figure that I can build my own for quite cheap if I use a switching design and have something that I can trust.

So I was going to try to use a LM2576-Adj which National has a nice 1-30V adjustable schematic for in the datasheet. But I'm too stupid to figure out how to do adjustable current limit. I know you'd probably need some op-amps or something, but really don't have much of an idea of how to do it correctly.

Then I saw the LM2673 which is called "3A Step-Down Voltage Regulator with Adjustable Current Limit", but it SEEMS that in the datasheet, that you can't have a very wide output voltage range due to something with inductors and capacitors and resonance they have with eachother. However, I don't know that for sure. LM2673 also switches at 260KHz which means I have more places to screw up my layout.

So I have a few questions. Does anyone have a decent solution to adding adjustable current limit to the LM2576? If not, how about getting a full range of voltage adjustment on the LM2673? If not, do you have any other ideas for this? Other chips/designs etc?

Thank you.

Offline Gall

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Working on Adj Current/Voltage SMPS Lab PSU. Questions...
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2011, 09:38:38 am »
Generally, adjustable current limit is done independently of the chip. Voltage too.

You just measure both voltage and current using opamp-based circuits, compare them to references and provide a feedback to the regulator. The regulator may be SMPS or linear, doesn't matter.
The difficult we do today; the impossible takes a little longer.

Offline NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
Re: Working on Adj Current/Voltage SMPS Lab PSU. Questions...
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2011, 01:05:09 pm »
Take a look at power converters intended for charging batteries, since those need to control both voltage and current.
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf