Electronics > Projects, Designs, and Technical Stuff

Would the HDS200 really benefit from thermal pads?

(1/2) > >>

GelatinCapacitor:
I just acquired the HDS272S.

On this video for a more recent model of the device, they show an installed 'improvement': thermal pads on the ICs that generate most of the heat.

I am seriously thinking about performing the same. But would it really help or even be necessary?

Of course, I can gather that these thermal pads' heat capacity is not special at all, but at least they're good at conducting the heat, and the increased surface area would help transfer the heat to air or possibly nearby parts on the pcb.
Does that make sense? What if this does not extend the device's life at all? The ICs may not even get too hot at all.

A different video showed the device from the outside, on thermal camera approaching 33C°, while ON, after many minutes, laying flat on a 23°C table. But who knows what temperatures the ICs themselves were at.

Look at my silly drawing:

EDIT:

done

tooki:
The point of a thermal pad (or thermal paste, etc) is to be a better conductor of heat than air, which is quite poor. You get the heat out of the confined area and move it to a larger place where you can dissipate it.

GelatinCapacitor:
And I assume that the thermal pad layer should always be as thin as possible.
But I'm assuming the point here is to make the thicker thermal pads serve as better heat sinks than the surrounding air is; but they may not actually make that much of a difference.

2N3055:
Thermal pad is a spreader, an interface. On the other side of the pad you need a heatsink. A metal plate, metal case or something. An actual heat sink..

tooki:

--- Quote from: GelatinCapacitor on June 16, 2024, 09:18:59 am ---And I assume that the thermal pad layer should always be as thin as possible.
But I'm assuming the point here is to make the thicker thermal pads serve as better heat sinks than the surrounding air is; but they may not actually make that much of a difference.

--- End quote ---
As thin as possible, but as thick as necessary: it’s still a better conductor of heat than air is!

Why do you think it wouldn’t make a difference?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version