Author Topic: Which Proteus???  (Read 3245 times)

Offline sttsTopic starter

• Contributor
Which Proteus???
« on: August 11, 2022, 04:06:42 am »
Hello. Im looking at several schematic/simulators. Tried Circuit JS and it was very interesting. Very useful to actually watch where all the current was going. Made tuning my circuit a snap. But its mostly generic parts. The breadboard circuit did not work like the simulation. So looking around at several others and ran into Proteus. But which Proteus? I ran into 8.14 and 8.9. The website says the latest is 8.14. So 8.9 must be scammers luring clicks to pass out trojans on the higher version number. A sneaky trick. But I find reviews all over the place for 8.6 and 8.9. With tutorals on how to get started. So is there 2 different Proteuses out there for circuit design? Its got me stumped. I left a comment on a page that tutors on 8.9. But they deleted my comment. Hah. That makes me even more paranoid.  :-//

Online PlainName

• Super Contributor
Re: Which Proteus???
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2022, 12:28:17 pm »
8.9 was an actual release (from around May 2019) and 8.14 is the latest release version.

However, if you're looking at downloading 8.9 then that suggests you're after a hookey copy (otherwise why not just download from their web site), and in that case any version should be suspect regardless of what version it's alleged to be.

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2022, 01:30:12 pm »
Well that still doesnt make alot of sense to me. Im an actual engineer. And when Im told that a higher revision number is older than a lower revision number, Im not going to be quick to download anything till I can make sense of the story. For all I know, the Proteus website I found is the fake page ready to send me a trojan. And if they are both legit, then why did they derail on standard version number norms? Is one a light version and one a pro? Or is one a 32bit versus a 64bit? I certainly wont get the strait story if scammers are responding to me. So Im asking the same question on several sites besides the pages offering the downloads. That way I am sure to get good info eventually. Only then will I do a download, if it looks like it could fit my needs. Right off the top I would have figured 8.9 is the latest release. Thats the way version numbering works.

Online PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2022, 01:42:58 pm »
when Im told that a higher revision number is older than a lower revision number

It is 8.14, not 8.1.4. '14' is bigger, later, than '9'.

Catches me out sometimes :) Worst I've come across is Waterfox, where 4.1 seems to be later than 4.1.2
« Last Edit: August 11, 2022, 01:44:41 pm by dunkemhigh »

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2022, 01:54:09 pm »
OMG. I didnt even see that.  |O. I have a touch of dyslexia that bites me from time to time. That must be what happened. Anyways, so I quess the Labcenter.com site is legit.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf