Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10 Next
Projects, Designs, and Technical Stuff / Re: Impedance of a plasma arc
« Last post by jonpaul on Today at 10:54:34 am »
Hello: Plasma tweeter: waste of time ...dangerous.

Low efficiency, short life, danger f ozone poinsing.

We used RAAL Ribbon tweeters for decades, MUCH better sound.

Plasma imp:
No simple answer.

Read classic books: Gaseous Conductors, Cobine,
J.J. Thompson, etc for arcs.

Jon
General Technical Chat / Re: Youtube "how to" videos are mostly useless
« Last post by coppice on Today at 10:53:49 am »
If the how to video is how to fix something, they are usually quite valuable. They may not give you a complete way to do a good fix, but boy can they save you time figuring out where all the obscure fixings are, without poking around on the real product so much you break something.
EEVblog Specific / Re: EEVblog #978 - Keysight 1000X Hacking
« Last post by Palmer on Today at 10:48:42 am »
eh you are right without a flash drive the application started by itself and could be updated from the flash drive then.

As a thank you, I am preparing a description of the procedure should someone look here in the future with an identical problem and not have to ask questions.

I think that I will finish the description later today max. tomorrow.
I do get more than a bit frustrated when those people assert that because they believe they themselves do get sufficient understanding from videos, everyone must also, and that anyone complaining otherwise is just stuck in the old times and complaining out of contrariness.

That is, IMNSHO, a classic indicator of Dunning-Kruger syndrome. While it may be sufficient for monkey-see-monkey-do tasks, it will be insufficient for many novel innovative tasks.
To be clear, I was not actually referring to anyone participating in this thread, any past thread here, or any personal messages sent to me!

I was remembering the few cases where I was tutoring or trying to help a teen, and reached for a book or suggested a chapter in a book, and they responded with something along the lines of "can't you find a video for me instead?" followed by a frustrating discussion about what is understanding, what is knowledge and application of understanding, and what is copying and learning by rote.

I only realized just now that that part could be read as if I was railing against anyone asking if I knew a good video on some subject; that's not the case at all.  For example, RoGeorge recently asked me for advice on a good Python GUI tutorial book/article/blog/video in the Programming / Python thread, but I couldn't give any because I haven't seen any.  (I ended up posting an example instead.)  There is absolutely nothing wrong in considering multiple different sources, and even falling back to Youtube when nothing better can be found!

When tutoring teens in math and physics, the hardest part is getting them over the "I don't know how to do this!" / "I can't do this!" mindset.
(There is no "can" or "cannot", there is only "try and see what happens".  Force and Magic can smell my butt.  Take it one step at a time, no matter how unsurmountable the problem might look now.)
I believe this mindset is related to the quick and easy answers that proliferate on the internet, with actual understanding requiring effort that is not normally rewarded or required, leading to the superficiality and short-term objectives; with videos preferred over written text simply because they require minimal (cognitive) effort to pass the minimum requirements.

The meme version of my complaint is "I don't wanna read that, it's too long.  Can't you make it a TikTok video instead?"
Microcontrollers / Re: Reading Rotary Encoder pulse output at fast RPM
« Last post by mino-fm on Today at 10:41:03 am »
In the mean time I made another very easy solution using RP2040 Pico-board. Maybe you didn't noticed that until now.
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/projects/fast-12-ch-quadrature-decoder-abindex-rp2040-arduino/
Is there a purpose in analyzing poor designs that so far as we know do not exist commerce?  And even if they did, then what?
Microcontrollers / Re: Flashing a Single LED to show ADC result.
« Last post by Geoff-AU on Today at 10:33:51 am »
but the OP says "show", which we can only infer as meaning being readable by a human with just their eyes.

That's how I inferred it, but plenty of people went straight to machine learning reading.

Maybe OP can come back and clarify before we've shouted all possible permutations into the void.
Hi gkasprow,

I know, it's not funny to order all those single and small parts and assemble them. Sorry, but I can't help you and I don't know if anybody is able to do that for you.
Maybe you can start building a simple version and upgade it from time to time.

Best regards,
Michael
It is important to be aware of one's weaknesses, even if they are pointed out without offering much useful detail ;)

The useful details have already been offered. You dismissed them all.

Also, I asked you a question some posts ago that maybe could get you to reflect on where you lack understanding. Apparently, you simply ignored that question.

Also, feel free to actually spell out the reasoning behind this previous post of yours, as to why you think that all those conclusions of yours make sense. Maybe, just maybe, that will make you realize that you have no idea.

It is just blatantly obvious that you are regurgitating these ideas that you have heard somewhere without any real understanding of how they relate or what their applicability is in a given scenario. That whole post is a series of non-sequiturs that maybe is held together in your head by some vague superficial conceptual connections, but just make no sense at all if you actually had any more than surface-level understanding of the subject.

Like, there is a context in which people (experts) will recommend that you should not be using self-signed certificates, because self-signed certificates in that context have security risks. But if you had any understanding of how any of this works and why people say that in that context, you would realize that the reasons for that recommendation makes no sense in your application, and that in actual fact, a self-signed certificate might actually be the more secure choice.

If you want to design a secure system, you have to get beyond the stage of repeating rules of thumb that you've heard somewhere, and actually understand the reasoning behind those rules of thumb. You have to understand the properties of cryptographic primitives (like hashes, signatures, MACs, symmetric and asymmetric ciphers, key agreement schemes) and how they are employed in crypto protocols like TLS, and you won't get there by smugly dismissing everything people who actually understand the subject are saying.
Besides, Inventree is being actively developed, and the developers actually do pay attention to the issue tracker. This is worth a lot.

As far as deployment, well yes, it may be somewhat more difficult than a monolithic desktop app or a hosted service. It's not so much about being linux-specific, but about the whole concept behind getting it deployed.

They provide a docker-compose file, which, I believe, contains the section to start the database, if you don't already have one, and the app itself, so you have pretty much all configuration in one file, and their getting started docs should help you get going. But for best results you should read some introductory tutorials on docker and docker-compose. Inventree is a self-hosted web application, quite a different experience compared to your typical desktop software, so yes you will need to learn some new concepts. That's a good thing anyway, live and learn. It's not disposable knowledge, you'll be able to reuse it for something else later.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10 Next