Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10 Next
Metrology / Re: HP 3458A on a "Pure Sinewave" UPS
« Last post by coromonadalix on Today at 03:59:10 pm »
why not adding an emi rfi filter on the ups  ac output ?  it would help ?  no ?
Test Equipment / Re: DER-EE DE-5000 ESR zero measurement problem.
« Last post by TA3UIS on Today at 03:57:44 pm »
I wonder why the DE-5000 does not show the ESR value before adding the resistor, I will test it with a series connected resistor and share the result.

The cheap TC-1 LCR Meter showed the ESR value.
See sample photo.
If you need a specific Firmware let me know. Got quite a collection from 6.5 to 8.6 all 32bits.

Sadly, most of them were removed from LeCroy website :(

I'm looking for 64bits firmware at the moment. If anyone has any I would be interested.
Those very high value caps should read about 0.0.
That means those caps are good.  I would be worried if those caps did not measure zero.

Approximately 2200uF and up should read zero ESR.
They are probably actually measuring around 0.01 or 0.02.
I was on the dat-heads list years ago, cant remember if I was cncjerry then, probably not.  I still have my dat walkman and pulled it out because that has an external converter that would do what I want.  The player won't load a tape.  I think it has something to do with the latch on the lid, getting an error 2 and others.  I used dat for everything, had a couple console units, had kicked around getting another because we used the dat walkman music in the delivery room and would like to archive that from when my boys were born.  I guess it is archived because we can't play it, isn't that the definition?

Yes, wireless is better, but then I would need three of these setups to provide music to the three rooms my wife frequents whereas using my existing cables and distribution setup, I can do it with one $10 device.  Also, I would have to figure out how to sync them.  I wanted this to be simple because she can barely use a remote control with instructions glue on the back.

That device from the UK would work and I think the Wondom audio does the same except the wondom has a ful usb audio stack for $8.

I'll report back when it gets here.  By the way, this setup sips power compared to a laptop.

Jerry
I'm fine with running autocal to meet performance.  That's no problem.  What I have a problem with is it will not autocal without a trigger.  I couldn't tell you how many times I have setup to trigger on an infrequent condition and when the event finally happens, rather than showing me some possibly uncal'ed data because it drifted a few degrees, it runs it's calibration.  If I am trying to use the scope like this from a cold start, good luck.   For my use where I am only typically needing ballparkish numbers, loosing data even if it does not meet the manufactures stated error is never acceptable.  They provide me with the option to disable the autocal but it doesn't really turn it off.  I am running 7.x.x firmware.  Looks like they are up to 8.x. 
General Technical Chat / Re: Cheapest way to get date/time from GPS
« Last post by tom66 on Today at 03:49:02 pm »
DCF77 uses a Caesium atomic reference.  It will be pretty close in frequency accuracy to GPS, with the only differences being due to special and general relativity (I assume the correction for this is done in any module for both time and position, but I do not know for sure.)  GPS also has ionospheric correction via the almanac data.  Of course, DCF77 is not particularly subject to relativity, but it doesn't provide any ionospheric correction, so the absolute accuracy of time information cannot be as good as GPS.  But for applications outside of metrology, it's perfectly fine.
Beginners / Re: Amplifier type
« Last post by elki on Today at 03:48:48 pm »
Thank you for your replies. I am actually using this circuit connecting it to a photodiode and sourcing its current from anode as input. That’s why I thought this amplifier can be considered as a trans impedance amplifier, since it converts current to voltage, but I guess I am wrong.
Test Equipment / Re: DER-EE DE-5000 ESR zero measurement problem.
« Last post by mawyatt on Today at 03:47:23 pm »
OK. Now add a small valued resistor under 1 ohm in series with the large value cap. Measure the resistor first to get it's value, then add in series with cap. Meter should show ESR as value of added resistor plus any ESR of actual cap.

Edit: Just noted your frequency is 100Hz, try 1KHz instead.

Best,
Beginners / Re: defective supercap?
« Last post by BrainyCapacitance on Today at 03:45:27 pm »
err... I'm not ACTUALLY in Antarctica. I just chose it for "safety reasons". I hope you can understand
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10 Next