Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10 Next
Test Equipment / Re: Siglent SDS3000X HD and upgraded SDS1000X HD
« Last post by temperance on Today at 05:50:07 pm »
Don't get me wrong, I usually enjoy Dave's videos, but they really are just entertainment. Especially now that he's focused on spreading further on social media. I hope he does justice to the two scopes he recently received from Siglent.

He never did a proper review of the SDS2K HD. Only a teardown. I'm not expecting too much. But I'm sure a review done by Perform01 will outperform any other review.

Dave likes negative feedback. Maybe that's the problem.
Metrology / Re: Stability of 5V references compared to AD586LQ
« Last post by Andreas on Today at 05:49:44 pm »
Hello,

Manganin would be good.
Constantan has too much thermal voltage against copper.
And the chips usually have 2-3 deg C more temperature than the environment.
(even when the ground pin is soldered to the PCB).

with best regards

Andreas
Dodgy Technology / Re: Bad/bloated web design
« Last post by PlainName on Today at 05:48:37 pm »
If you're using FireFox, a decent addon is Disable Autoplay. It does what it says, but still allows you to manually play whatever it is by clicking on it.
Test Equipment / Re: Choosing between entry-level 12-bit DSOs
« Last post by shapirus on Today at 05:48:09 pm »
But facts are facts and DHO900 is hardware that is a shame of Rigol and should not have left prototype phase. It is a 250MHz scope (claimed) that in worst case samples at 156MSps/s which is FINRSI type of specmanship.
And since many people hack their DHO800 to 900 that defect is applicable to 800 too.
When does it switch to 156Msa/s?
(other than zooming out horizontally to >= 500 us/div)
for 100$ i think there isn't a better option new. maybe for a bit more you can get one of the handheld scopes they make, like the HDS242s which has similar oscilloscope functionality to the VDS, except for math and FFT, and a more limited set of measurements, but you also get an ok multimeter and function generator. the VDS of course has the advantage of using a computer screen, plus the extra measurements and math and trigger options.

i don't know how good the hscope app has gotten. i tried it once, the free version, and was not impressed at all.

as a student, i think you might be better off finding a used analog discovery 2, it's basically a small lab in a single package, its software is amazing, and the hardware itself is also very capable. you get a 2 channel scope, 2 channel waveform generator, 16 logic I/O channels, and positive and negative power supplies. the software has features like frequency response analysis which will definitely come in handy when you're studying filters and amplifiers and whatnot, and with an add-on board, or a basic circuit of your own making, it can also do impedance analysis. you can find the analog discovery 2 on ebay used for about 150usd, which isn't much more than what the VDS1022i cost
sadly the analog discovery is much more expensive here in germany and not many are sold used, all of them are either double the owon or more or there are none. will probably either save up and get a hantek 6074BC (like 60 bucks more) that will last me till the end of times in terms of bandwidth or buy the vds 1022 now, dont like handheld, i want a bigger screen, not a tiny slightly bigger multimeter sized screen.
Metrology / Re: Automated PCB reverse engineering idea
« Last post by pcprogrammer on Today at 05:45:52 pm »
I see problems with the bed of nails and component height, and not just BGA's that pose a problem. QFN packages also have the pads underneath, and there are other components with the connections underneath the component, like some coils, LED's, etc.

Even with pogo pins there can be components in the way for reaching in deep enough to make contact. Flying probes would be a better solution, but it would need a robot arm with good articulation and a long needle to reach in to every nook and granny, and that still leaves BGA's

An X-ray image of the board can be of help, but with multi layer boards it still is a challenge.

Further more it would need automated recognition of components, and that can be difficult too, with the same SMD marking on different components, so knowing the package is also needed, and then still.

Distinguishing a SMD ferrite bead from a SMD capacitor can also be a challenge, and components with very low resistance can mislead the continuity test and make it think there is a direct connection.

Distilling a proper schematic is also not that easy, even with a full node to node list.

So all in al not an easy feat to accomplish.
RF, Microwave, Ham Radio / Re: WSJT-X on Pi
« Last post by radiolistener on Today at 05:41:14 pm »
just tried to install wsjtx and jtdx on raspberry pi Bookworm OS aarch64:
Code: [Select]
sudo apt install wsjtx jtdx
It installed wsjt v2.6.1 and jtdx v2.2.159

Both works just after installation, but both have no title for the main window, so there is no way to move window.
Probably some issue with Wayland compatibility...

Update: just found workaround for wsjt, if you click on a splash screen during app startup before main window appearing, it will be opened with window title... :) For jtdx there is no spash screen, so this workaround don't works.
The camera supposedly has Tiny1-c core? how can it be, wherever I look, the core retails at 300+ buckaroos, while this camera retails as low as 180 dollhairs?
Is this one of those "economy of scale" things, where we lesser beings must pay premium for daring so much as bother the noble manufacturers and must go trough retailer as a good liter consumer we are... or am I looking at wrong places.
Test Equipment / Re: SDS800X HD Bug Reports + Firmware
« Last post by eTobey on Today at 05:33:17 pm »
And again, smartass, antisocial, but so true to you signature on your account.

"Sometimes, after talking with a person, you want to pet a dog, wave at a monkey, and take off your hat to an elephant." (Maxim Gorki)

After talking to you I do marvel at how nice and intelligent monkeys are..

Your apology was obviously just a manipulation not to get blocked so you get to keep being obtuse troll.
You have to see the beauty of this signature, you can put yourself on which ever side you want.

You may want to read what i wrote about that teamwork we somehow uintentionally did together, and realize that we could get along quite nicely if... I just used your creative  example, in which i actually acknowledged, that i could have done better. As i was meaning before, it might help to forget what there was before.  :-[
Good afternoon
That will be great, good that you are ok ,
Let me know what i owe you,
did you get to go out on your Bike,
Thanks Again,
Dave
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10 Next