Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10 Next
RF, Microwave, Ham Radio / Re: 120 or 125 ohm coax
« Last post by tchicago on Today at 03:41:52 pm »
Plumbing tubes and pipes have standard dimensions, with 3 grades of wall thickness
Engineering ToolBox:  "CTS-CopperTube Sizes"   "NPS-Nominal Pipe Size"

My biggest issue is the inability to bend the thicker pipes. It was kind of OK to bend the thinner "refrigeration" copper pipes, but those thicker ones - I have no idea how to do that without special equipment.
RF, Microwave, Ham Radio / Re: 120 or 125 ohm coax
« Last post by tchicago on Today at 03:39:36 pm »

Oh very true! Since it's a dipole, I assume OP needs a balun as well. One simple way would be a ferrite sleeve current balun at the end of 50ohm coax, then 120Ohm UTP through a plastic pipe.

No, extra balun is not needed in Sinclair design. The coax going through the pipe from the zero potential point to the max potential point IS the balun in this case.
General Technical Chat / Re: Do you think an LED is a resistor?
« Last post by bdunham7 on Today at 03:38:10 pm »
People here seem to have a problem in understanding set inclusion.

The problem isn't most of us not understanding what LEDs are nor how basic set theory works.  The problem seems to be you trying to interweave a poorly constructed semantic argument with a particular type of circuit theory.

I'll leave the circuit theory to others such as switchabl who seems to be more familiar with nonlinear network theory than I am.  If we're going to have a discussion about memristors and the theory that posits them, that should be another thread.  It actually might be an interesting topic, but not an uncontroversial one from what I've read.  If anyone has a copy of or link to Chua's original paper, I'd like to see it as I haven't found it outside of a paywall.

Your semantic argument here seems to be that if you describe something using an adjective and a noun, then what you are describing is automatically a member or subset of the set of things described by the noun alone.  This is quite foolish and not how the English language works.  It is fairly common to describe things using an adjective/noun combination that is inherently oxymoronic.  Non-dairy milk, vegan hamburger, etc.  Whether these specific things are to be included in the larger set depends on the precise nature of what you are describing and the definition of the set, not just word combinations.

If you have a silver Rolex, a gold Rolex and an old Rolex, they are all members of the set Rolex.  However, does that mean that a fake Rolex is a Rolex?

Is a Gunn diode a diode?  Define diode first, then look up what a Gunn diode is and decide. 

The typical, ordinary definition of a resistor is a device that obeys Ohms law, IOW has a nominally linear V/I plot that goes through 0,0.  Thus the term "non-linear resistor" is oxymoronic using this definition and we would not include it in the set.  If you redefine the term 'resistor' to mean something other than what I've stated, then perhaps your definition can include LEDs and so forth.  As many have told you already, most of us would find this inclusion to be unhelpful.  This is not to due to stupidity or some great educational lacuna so please get over yourself and your pseud-iconoclast act.
Jobs / Re: PCB Designer for sensor board with 4-20ma output
« Last post by alpelectronics on Today at 03:35:27 pm »
Pm sent.
Microcontrollers / Re: RIP Z80
« Last post by coppice on Today at 03:34:40 pm »
Today, most embedded stuff (except low end) is done in C and if the clock is fast enough the CPU architecture becomes almost irrelevant.
If you try to sell an MCU to many large customers now they show no interest unless it has an ARM core, or perhaps increasingly a RiSC/V core. You can talk about a totally unsuitable chip for their needs, and they'll listen if is has an ARM core. You can talk about a great fit for their needs, and they are not listening simply because it doesn't have an ARM core. But the core is almost irrelevant, because almost all new MCU code is developed in C. The MCU's value is all about its unique qualities - interesting peripherals, special memory qualities, like error detection/correction or non-volatility, partitioning to meet regulatory requirements, etc.
General Technical Chat / Re: Do you think an LED is a resistor?
« Last post by IanB on Today at 03:31:16 pm »
You don't seem to realize that no one has an issue with a LED, or any other device, having resistive properties.

Of course Sredni realizes that. But if they acknowledged it, it would not serve the purpose of trolling the forum with a seven page thread.
My vote would also be for a microscope stand that clamps on to the back of the table. Your microscope slides onto a 20mm carrier post? That is not an uncommon size, so I wonder if you can find a higher quality stand – if you want or need that – new or used, perhaps (just guessing) from Meiji Techno? Wild Heerbrugg started with 20mm, but switched to 25 in the 1970s, another common size. Perhaps you could fashion or adapt a 20mm post+coupler to a stand you might find.

Here is one I fashioned to slide on to an otherwise complete boom stand. I made it using DIN standard parts, a tapped-to-order hardened shaft, and then not much more than a drill press:

Hi youngda9,
Your assestment seems to make a lot of sense, I should be considering inserting the signal in the low impedance path on my first example just as it is done on the second one. I did not find any quick way of doing this with the first method, maybe this is the reason why the second method is more reliable. On your last comment, then it would be safe to say that substracting 180 degrees for inverting amplifiers should be considered? By that logic then I should substract 0 degrees for non-inverting? How about Differential amplifiers?

Edit: Thanks for the reference documents, look like a fun read!
No contact to weld if the contact is already molten. 

heh.. heh.. no contacts to weld.

would it be a sin if i find out how much I^t it takes to make a mercury thermostat explode?
Test Equipment / Re: SDS800X HD Actual Use Cases
« Last post by Antonio90 on Today at 03:24:18 pm »
Yes, it's the highly asymmetrical input capacitance of the DMM +- inputs when measured to ground reference :-+

The DMM - input has significantly more capacitance to ground than the + input, so when the pulse generator is reverse connected its' output "sees" a much larger effective capacitance thru the DSO input ground.

Best,
I didn't know that at all. Thank you very much!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10 Next