Author Topic: 12kW power supply using multiple Vicor modules (60 of them in series parallel!!)  (Read 698 times)

Offline ocsetTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Hi,
We need 240Amps at 50V to feed to drone motors. (One overall power supply, we aren’t allowed a power supply for each drone motor)
Do you believe the following method solves it with Vicor modules?....

The power supply has 820VDCin
Load = 50V at 240Amps (12kW)
There is a 320 Metre long cable between 820V source and load. (9.5 ohms go and return)

We believe that there is a possible way that this can be done with Vicor modules….

It involves one Vicor BCM4414xH0E5035yzz module feeding four paralleled Vicor DCM3623T50M53C2T00 modules……the output of the four than goes via a current monitor to the 240Amps bus…and 12 other lots of the above would also feed into the same bus.

The schematic is as attached. (just shows one “group”, not all 12.)
The current monitor output would be fed to an error amplifier, which would ensure that no group of four DCM  modules fed more than 24 Amps of current into the common bus…….in this way we would get “droop” sharing, and no significant current hogging …the error amplifier would be fed, as in the schematic, to the TRIM pins of the DCM  modules

We think this overcomes any significant sharing problems.
Can you see any Gremlins in this?

DCM3623T50M53C2T00 datasheet:
http://www.vicorpower.com/documents/datasheets/DCM3623x50M53C2yzz_ds.pdf

BCM4414xH0E5035yzz datasheet:
http://www.vicorpower.com/documents/datasheets/ds-BCM4414xH0E5035yzz-VICOR.pdf

-----------------------------------------------------
I must confess, I would really rather  like to address this with eight paralleled, synchronous 1.5kW two transistor forward converters (Sic FETs throughout)….all being fed the output of a single external error amplifier, which would regulate the single Vout….but we are bound to Vicor, as its perceived to be quicker ,and more commonplace tech with a globally proven track record.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf