Author Topic: 90W offline Flyback with all PTH components?  (Read 498 times)

Offline FaringdonTopic starter

• Super Contributor
90W offline Flyback with all PTH components?
« on: April 28, 2022, 08:56:05 am »
Hi,
Doing a 90W  flyback off 400Vdc, 60V, 1.5A out. 30kHz.
Its all in PTH. Not even SMD for the controller.
Do you think this will be ok noise-wise? We are going to damp the FET turn on and off to reduce noise. Also, there will be a current sense filter….but all  PTH.
Ive never done this power level in all PTH before….do you know if its workable?
« Last Edit: April 28, 2022, 03:22:41 pm by Faringdon »
'Perfection' is the enemy of 'perfectly satisfactory'

Offline FaringdonTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Re: 90W offline Flyback with all PTH components?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2022, 02:47:15 pm »
Also,
What about a  TNY28x 15W offline flyback supply with vin = 400vdc.....vout = 24v...lunacy to try it with all PTH?

TNY28x
https://www.power.com/sites/default/files/documents/tinyswitch-4_family_datasheet.pdf

The below shows all PTH with TNY28x for 20W....
https://www.power.com/sites/default/files/documents/rdr295.pdf
...but maybe it gave problems?
I would think with PTH offline SMPS, you need access to the primary current sense filter, and to the series gate resistor, so that you can de-noisify it?.....and preferably access to change (reduce) the fsw so you can damp switching transition without getting too much switching loss?

The RDR-295 flyback has a Big Np/Ns of 52/3.....this means it operates in DCM, or very close to it, at all Vin. This is believe is to avoid noisy CCM operation, which may possibly overcome it with noise in the all-PTH design. (?) They can get away with Np/Ns = 52/3  because vout is only 5V...which means 52/3 only reflects back 98V to pri..............until i get replies from power.com, i will have to assume that 24Vout and 15W is a no-go for LNK28X, due to the noise. 52/3 for example, would reflect back 416V to pri....and since the TNY28X is only 725V......its going  to cause problems.....oh well.........back to the UCC28C43.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2022, 03:28:22 pm by Faringdon »
'Perfection' is the enemy of 'perfectly satisfactory'

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf