Author Topic: 3-phase 380V from single phase 220V (2kW bidirectional)  (Read 964 times)

Offline ElmarTopic starter

• Contributor
3-phase 380V from single phase 220V (2kW bidirectional)
« on: April 01, 2021, 07:22:44 am »
So I'm running a 15kW bidirectional power supply in a test setup that is running on 3 phase power.

I'd like to be able to use this setup in places where I only have access to 230V single-phase outlets and don't have access to 3-phase power. I'd be ok with running it at lower power in this case, 2kW. I've talked with the supplier and they told me that the device definitely needs 3 phase power in order to operate, even if you use it at lower power ratings.

So I'm looking for a 2kW bidirectional 220V 1-phase <--> 380V 3-phase converter, does anyone know if these exist?

It's part of a setup that I'm mostly using for testing DC-DC converters where I'm supplying 2kW of power with the SM3300 power supply and then I'm sinking this power in the SM15K bidirectional power supply. Both of these devices can be connected to 3 phase power so I'm guessing I could also get away with a ~100W  unidirectional 220V 1-phase --> 380V 3-phase converter but this feels tricky.

I was wondering if anyone here has suggestions for me.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2021, 07:26:11 am by Elmar »

Offline Nauris

• Regular Contributor
Re: 3-phase 380V from single phase 220V (2kW bidirectional)
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2021, 04:13:07 pm »
I would first try quick solution with regular VFD fitted with output sine filter and brake resistor, step-up autotransformer on input and extra bus capacitor. 

Offline Berni

• Super Contributor
Re: 3-phase 380V from single phase 220V (2kW bidirectional)
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2021, 04:21:53 pm »
The easy way is a rotary power converter.

Take a 3 phase async motor, connect it to the 3 phases, connect the 220V single phase across two phases. Spin the motor by hand in one direction then plug it in. Once its gets up to speed turn on your gear. Works for bidirectional too.

Slight improvemenr is to add a starting capacitor to the last phase so that the motor can start on its own, might also need a soft start resistor since it will pull a hefty amount of current on start up.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf