Electronics > Power/Renewable Energy/EV's

Another Tesla Megapack fire

<< < (6/6)

james_s:

--- Quote from: Black Phoenix on October 10, 2022, 03:04:28 am ---The problem here is that it is news. Last time a Tesla burned, it was news on the US and Worldwide - I saw news in Portuguese and even China.

Strangely because China have a ton of problems with batteries blowing up and burning in 2 wheel vehicles, EVs and even public buses, but those are not normally wide reported as the Tesla one was (wonder why /s).

I bet with you that if tomorrow an accident with a Tesla kills someone and creates a fire that damages property, it will be news everywhere around the world. A ICE car burning and having the same damage in property is not as impactful as one of the most wealth new tech companies product having a problem, who his CEO is a constant Twitter controversial commenter.

--- End quote ---

That may be, but there are a small number of these Megapack things and already 2 or 3 of them have caught fire. The cars I don't know, they don't seem to be catching fire but I have no real data. Also a concern with the cars is that battery fires I've seen typically occur while charging, which is often when the car is sitting in the garage or driveway at night and the owner is asleep. When ICE cars catch fire it's usually caused by fuel leaks and hot engines while the car is being driven. I'm a proponent of EVs in general but the fire risk is something that makes me just a tad nervous.

Black Phoenix:

--- Quote from: james_s on October 10, 2022, 06:14:49 am ---Also a concern with the cars is that battery fires I've seen typically occur while charging, which is often when the car is sitting in the garage or driveway at night and the owner is asleep. When ICE cars catch fire it's usually caused by fuel leaks and hot engines while the car is being driven. I'm a proponent of EVs in general but the fire risk is something that makes me just a tad nervous.

--- End quote ---

Not really. The report of the first Tesla fire I remember was because of an accident.

Here in China the reports of burned EV bikes mostly are when charging right, but I remember 3 cases of bikes catching fire while being used/ridden (one inside a lift), and the last 2 I remember in cars, one the car stops at a traffic light and a explosion inside with fire happens, both driver and his kid get out while the car gets engolfed in flames.

The other was a public bus who stops in a bus stop, and the same happens, a explosion on the back of the bus. Also the one in France - https://youtu.be/uA7SoM2DWuM

Siwastaja:

--- Quote from: james_s on October 10, 2022, 06:14:49 am ---Also a concern with the cars is that battery fires I've seen typically occur while charging

--- End quote ---

That seems to be what people think is typical, and it's definitely true with low-quality cells (and/or crappy BMS), i.e. ebikes and such, but Teslas seem to go up in flames in an accident, which is understandable because you can't protect the cells from shorting out with physical damage, this is the most difficult case for the cell designer.

Of course, a combination of physical damage, causing hidden damage, plus charging is a possibility.

The news about production EV fires I have seen have been accidents, some random fires on road, and of course some during charging, too, but definitely not dominated by charging.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version