Electronics > Power/Renewable Energy/EV's

Any way to safely test if an AC-DC converter can accept DC input?

<< < (9/9)

uer166:
The inductors on bottom left are the PFC boost, and you can see the capacitor bank on bottom right, it then loops back around to upper right through transformers. It's probably some sort of LLC/PSFB/DAB converter. There is nothing fundamentally preventing the use of DC input here, but as was mentioned, you may explode the input contractor that's not rated for DC (fatal), or confuse the PFC controller. I'd recommend trying it just so we see the result for funsies, assuming it wouldn't be a huge loss! 

FyKnight:

--- Quote from: uer166 on November 14, 2021, 02:09:23 am ---There is nothing fundamentally preventing the use of DC input here, but as was mentioned, you may explode the input contractor that's not rated for DC (fatal), or confuse the PFC controller. I'd recommend trying it just so we see the result for funsies, assuming it wouldn't be a huge loss!

--- End quote ---
Excellent, maybe I can replace that contactor with one that is rated for DC then. I'm willing to risk confusing the PFC controller. Technically, those pins could expect to see DC in some (never implemented AFAIK) charging systems so... it's not inconceivable that the OBC would be safe to receive it even if it didn't charge with it.

Yeah breaking this OBC would be a big loss, being the only way to charge my regular car. I reckon I'll try it with square wave input first, and wait to pick up a wreck to try actual DC.

Thanks very much for your replies folks!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version