Electronics > Power/Renewable Energy/EV's

Array Solar Backpack Please Review This

(1/2) > >>

klorel:
Hey folks,

Somebody was asking me what do I think about these voltaic products, that is when I come across the solar backpack:

https://www.voltaicsystems.com/array

They leave out the solar panel specs from the page. I can't imagine charging my old Lenovo T400 or my Asus ROG laptop from a solar pack like this. First of all I believe the solar panel cannot charge the laptop directly, only it's small battery pack. They claim that this solar backpack with 1 hour direct exposure to sunlight can give your laptop 30 minutes extra battery life.

This is way too expensive hardware for me to just buy for testing. If anybody could please send 1 for Dave in a mailbag for review that would be great!

madires:
A backpack with 10W solar cells and a 19,800 mAh powerbank for $379? Totally overpriced! A 280W LG panel is only EUR 220 and will charge several laptop batteries.

Codebird:
It'll slowly charge your devices, but only so long as you are hiking pole-wards.

I agree with Madires: It's a dinky little panel in sub-optimal placement. If you are doing serious days-long treks, this is completely inadequate, and if you are not then you really have no need for solar, just a few USB chargers that will cost and weigh less. You'd be better off getting a little fold-out panel you can lay out in the sun while you are stopped for lunch.

CCitizenTO:

--- Quote from: madires on March 21, 2017, 10:34:42 am ---A backpack with 10W solar cells and a 19,800 mAh powerbank for $379? Totally overpriced! A 280W LG panel is only EUR 220 and will charge several laptop batteries.

--- End quote ---

The guy did say it was a 60 Wh battery isnt that closer to a 60,000 mAh power bank than a 19,800 mAh? I think I recall in a video Dave posted that 1Ah is roughly equal to 1Wh.

Also they use a few 'weasel words'... 'efficient laptop' likely translates to a cheapo netbook that can't really do much but browse the web and check your email. That said 10W panel on the back should be quite adequate at charging a cell phone. Most cell phone chargers are something like 5V/2A which by Ohm's law is 10 Watts.

Codebird:

--- Quote ---That said 10W panel on the back should be quite adequate at charging a cell phone.
--- End quote ---

Photovoltaic specs are always quoted under optimal conditions - which usually means the panel being in ideal orientation, on a totally cloudless day, possibly in low earth orbit.

Unless you are hiking pole-wards and hunched over at the correct angle, you're not going to see that. About half the time you'll be hiking towards the sun so the panel will be in shade, and most of the rest you'll be at a very sub-optimal angle.

So don't count on getting 10W. Or 5W, for that matter. Not unless you put the bag down in a sunny place and turn it correctly - at which point you might as well get a fold-out panel for a fraction of the price.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version