Author Topic: Battery Protection Advice  (Read 2818 times)

Offline cosmarchyTopic starter

• Contributor
Battery Protection Advice
« on: November 22, 2021, 10:55:23 pm »
Hi,

I have a few devices which run off various batteries and I'm looking for some sort of protection.

The devices (environmental, machine, building monitoring devices etc) are being run from various batteries and I would like some advice on protecting the batteries from over discharge.  As the batteries main purpose is to start a generator or keep alive critical electronics they will all put up with a certain amount of discharge before they become useless and require recharging (obviously dependent on the load requirements and battery technology!!)

So I'm looking for something that will disconnect the load when a pre-determined battery voltage is reached and then reconnect once a higher voltage is reached (when the battery has been recharged for example).

My initial thoughts were a battery management IC, but was not sure there was one which is programmable to cope with the different cut-off voltages, so wondered whether there was a microcontroller suitable?  My main issue with this whether the power requirements of a microcontroller would further drain the battery considering it has to check the voltage periodically to see if the load can be reconnected...

Might be useful if there was a solution which re-charged the battery and re-connected the load when the battery input voltage is high enough but this is definitely int he realms of an IC and could not find anything combined.

Does anyone have any experience of this or can recommend any suitable component IC's?

Thanks

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
Re: Battery Protection Advice
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2021, 11:02:25 pm »
Every pre-package Li-ion battery pack has this feature built in! So just buy one of those battery packs and you are ready.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2021, 12:32:20 am »
Every pre-package Li-ion battery pack has this feature built in! So just buy one of those battery packs and you are ready.
The main exception is R/C packs - those generally do not have built in BMS. Also, the cutout points are usually just to prevent catastrophic failure and relying on them for normal use would result in very short service life. You would want a programmable BMS to allow setting more sane limits like stop discharge at 3.2V/cell and stop charge at 4.1V/cell.
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2021, 09:03:28 pm »
I could use Li-ion battery packs but I would also require this for lead acid batteries too.

In some cases, such as starting generators, it would be undesirable to go below say 10v where as in other applications I could go less hence the need for some kind of adjustment for different voltages on different battery technologies...

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2021, 10:57:44 pm »
Going to depend on load current, battery voltage, etc.
But this might give you some ideas or at least somewhere to start:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000439634699.html
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32959313382.html
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2021, 09:35:36 pm »
Interestingly both these use an opamp.

Thanks for this, I'll give them a look  :)

Online nfmax

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2021, 11:52:56 am »
For a 12v lead-acid battery protection circuit that uses mere nanoamps when the battery is in protection mode, take a look at my design: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/projects/battery-undervoltage-lockout/msg1060148/#msg1060148

The protection voltage of 10.9V in that design is appropriate for fairly heavy battery load currents. If the load is lighter, the cutoff voltage should be increased, by adjusting the resistive divider network. Check with the datasheet for the battery you are using

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2021, 09:54:07 pm »
Many thanks for the link.  I'm sure there is something I can use in there  ;D ;D

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf