Author Topic: can not use phone while charging it and while walking on a treadmill  (Read 175 times)

Offline hinxx

• Contributor
I got myself a walkingpad c1 from Xiaomi. A cheap and nice thing to have during the work from home, love it.
One thing that I noticed is the I can not use my phone while charging and walking at the same time. The effect is seen as erratic touchscreen gestures, movement and swiping is not smooth, typing in any text becomes a nightmare; in short phone is not usable. There is a 'workaround' as I found out and mentioned below, but I would like to understand what is going on..

Here is some background info.

I use Apple charger, not a replica. Phone works as expected otherwise, no issues while charging or not. I use a plastic phone casing. I tried several mains outlets in my home, same effect, also having walkingpad and charger, on different wall outlets to no avail. I usually walk in my socks only. The walkingpad is rated for use in my EU country, 220V / 50Hz. Device comes with a power cord with three prong thing (US?,china?) and a socket adapter for EU standard 2 prong + grounding.

Walking + charging = problem.
Walkingpad running, but I'm not on it, and charging the phone, no problems (device runs for about 5 seconds, before it automatically stops, after not in use). As soon as I step off the running belt with the phone still charging no problems anymore.
If I remove the phone plastic cover, while charging and walking, no problems.
If I walk in sneakers the effect is somehow dampen, but still not completely gone (for example walking in socks and using no case completely removes the problem). The belt surface is some kind of rubber and the device has plastic/rubber standoffs. Underneath the belt I think I saw a layer of plastic which the belt runs on top of. That makes me think I'm kind of 'a float' and not grounded  :D.
Tried to hold on to the radiator in the room to if it helps and it seems to improve the situation, still not solving it, though.
I might have forgotten to mention other silly things I tried and won't even go into the some online 'recipes' I read about solving this.
I have contacted the online store and I'm waiting to see what they have to say; not expecting much.

There is a clear correlation between the walking and the charging as far as I can tell.

So, the workaround for me, while walking, is either not to charge the phone, or using a phone without a plastic casing.

Nevertheless I would like to keep my casing and continue walking while charging my phone. Seems like I'm asking for too much, or does it?  :-//

Offline LA7SJA

• Regular Contributor
  • Acting user manual reader & forum search engine
Re: can not use phone while charging it and while walking on a treadmill
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2020, 11:59:06 am »
As far as I know the Crapple Cryphone® use a capacitive touchscreen technology. These consist of layers of capacitive material whose electrical charge is disrupted when you touch the screen so the touchscreen would be (very)sensitive to static elektrisity. You should be able to test with a antistatic wrist strap  grounded to the machin and see if this makes the problem go away.

LA7SJA
"If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is probably not for you"

The following users thanked this post: hinxx

Offline f4eru

• Frequent Contributor
    • Chargehanger
Re: can not use phone while charging it and while walking on a treadmill
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2020, 05:01:23 pm »
two potential problems :
- Grounding of the phone. Class II appliances (like a phone charger without earth) will typically float around in potential up to 150V at 50/60 Hz
-ESD : walking on a conveyer belt creates a lot of electrostatic charge.

Ground yourself, and ground the phone via the USB connector metal.
You can put 1Mohm resistors inbetween

Good touchscreens are more resistant to 50 Hz and ESD.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2020, 05:10:25 pm by f4eru »

The following users thanked this post: hinxx

Offline hinxx

• Contributor
Thanks!

Will try to ground myself somehow and report back.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf