Author Topic: Diode to charge series batteries in parallel?  (Read 1144 times)

Offline WebserferTopic starter

Diode to charge series batteries in parallel?
« on: June 03, 2019, 03:40:04 pm »
Title says most. I have 3 12v lead acid cells that are hooked up in series on an old server UPS. I also have an old 18w? solar panel.

Would hooking that up to a cheap standard ebay voltage regulator work as a solar regulator? And if I used diodes to prevent shorting out the batteries could I run/charge all of the batteries off the one regulator?

I cant see why the diode wouldn't work for parallel charging but I'm not good at this and don't wanna miss anything.
The voltage regulator as a solar controller is one that's got me in if it'll work or not though.

Appreciate the help!

Offline f4eru

• Super Contributor
    • Chargehanger
Re: Diode to charge series batteries in parallel?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2019, 04:09:36 pm »
hooking that up to a cheap standard ebay voltage regulator work
Please provide a schematic, so we understand your configuration better, You can use a scanned DaveCAD, or online schematic tools.

also, please provide a link to this "cheap standard ebay voltage regulator", because there are many "standards", https://xkcd.com/927/

Offline WebserferTopic starter

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2019, 05:00:47 pm »
Ah sorry, my bad. I meant one of these buck? regulators

Slightly embarrassing, I don't know how to do cad yet. Don't know the icons ect. Here's the best I could get with paint, horrendous I know.

If their were no diodes the connection to the regulator would just short out the batteries, would the diodes there prevent that or is their something I'm missing?

Thanks!

Offline f4eru

• Super Contributor
    • Chargehanger
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2019, 11:55:13 pm »
That cannot work:
1) you short plus and minus of the regulator through the series connection of the batteries. it's either series or paralell, not both.
2) those regulators typically don't have a nice current limitation, the implemented curent limit is intended as a protection, not a charger circuit. They may self distruct over time if used as a charger.

For schematics, try out : http://www.schematics.com
« Last Edit: June 03, 2019, 11:59:26 pm by f4eru »

Offline daveatol

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2019, 12:48:07 am »
You can just charge them in series. You'll need a boost converter if the panel voltage is not high enough. You'll also want the converter to regulate the panel voltage somewhat so that it doesn't pull it low and reduce the output power.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf