Electronics > Power & Renewable Energy

Electric Car Experiences

<< < (84/88) > >>

nctnico:

--- Quote from: SilverSolder on October 17, 2020, 03:16:06 pm ---
--- Quote from: DougSpindler on October 17, 2020, 05:14:47 am ---Ah the good old days of gross polluting winning would of a 2-stroke engine.  I think there’s a reason we moved on from that technology.

--- End quote ---

Yep, but you can't beat the sound effects!  :D

Two strokes are still used in some applications - chain saws, leaf blowers, strimmers, etc. - it's going to be hard to dislodge them from that last stronghold, nothing beats their power-to-weight ratio!

--- End quote ---
Larger diesel engines (as found on ships) are also 2 stroke. But yes, chains saws and strimmer should be electrified. Leaf blowers are the worst invention ever. What about the good old broom?

DougSpindler:
Electric chain saws work very well until you accidentally cut the power cord.  I have one for use around my property.  Prefer it over the gas one.  Electric and battery chain saws will never replace electric.  I can’t see someone 100 feet up a tree with a 100 foot extension cord.  Or your 100 feet up a tree when the battery on your chain saw dies.   Other issue with electric chain saws is I just can’t seem to find an outlet in the wooded part of my property.

Issue with a broom is the just don’t work as well or as quickly as a leaf blower.  I have an electric leaf blower and in 5 minutes I can clean an area that would take 45 minutes to sweep.  While I’m not a fan of the noisy gas powered ones, I do understand there usefulness. 

coppice:

--- Quote from: DougSpindler on October 20, 2020, 01:53:51 am ---Electric chain saws work very well until you accidentally cut the power cord.  I have one for use around my property.  Prefer it over the gas one.  Electric and battery chain saws will never replace electric.  I can’t see someone 100 feet up a tree with a 100 foot extension cord.  Or your 100 feet up a tree when the battery on your chain saw dies.   Other issue with electric chain saws is I just can’t seem to find an outlet in the wooded part of my property.

Issue with a broom is the just don’t work as well or as quickly as a leaf blower.  I have an electric leaf blower and in 5 minutes I can clean an area that would take 45 minutes to sweep.  While I’m not a fan of the noisy gas powered ones, I do understand there usefulness.

--- End quote ---
There are some really excellent battery powered garden tools these days, although the good ones aren't cheap. I used a battery powered hedge trimmer some time ago, that was pretty hopeless when it met a thick branch. Recently I used my neighbour's new Stihl battery powered hedge trimmers to trim some shared hedging. They just keep going when they encounter a really thick branch, just like a gas or mains powered one would. The battery seems to last a long time, too. I was trimming for about 40 or 50 minutes, without flattening the battery. I was very impressed by everything except the price. :)

DougSpindler:

--- Quote from: coppice on October 20, 2020, 01:35:51 pm ---
--- Quote from: DougSpindler on October 20, 2020, 01:53:51 am ---Electric chain saws work very well until you accidentally cut the power cord.  I have one for use around my property.  Prefer it over the gas one.  Electric and battery chain saws will never replace electric.  I can’t see someone 100 feet up a tree with a 100 foot extension cord.  Or your 100 feet up a tree when the battery on your chain saw dies.   Other issue with electric chain saws is I just can’t seem to find an outlet in the wooded part of my property.

--- End quote ---
There are some really excellent battery powered garden tools these days, although the good ones aren't cheap. I used a battery powered hedge trimmer some time ago, that was pretty hopeless when it met a thick branch. Recently I used my neighbour's new Stihl battery powered hedge trimmers to trim some shared hedging. They just keep going when they encounter a really thick branch, just like a gas or mains powered one would. The battery seems to last a long time, too. I was trimming for about 40 or 50 minutes, without flattening the battery. I was very impressed by everything except the price. :)

--- End quote ---

I agree with you completely.  But there’s a difference between home owners cutting tree branches/hedges ever so often vs. someone who does it for 8 hour every day.  I can’t see someone who cuts trees professionally using a battery chainsaw.

ahbushnell:

--- End quote ---
New invention.  Battery powered leaf blower. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version