Author Topic: Electric Car Experiences  (Read 300523 times)

Offline Watth

• Regular Contributor
Re: Electric Car Experiences
« Reply #425 on: July 16, 2021, 12:45:15 pm »
Hey, I recently got a Renault Zoé (For those playing at home, it's a 2017 41 kW.h Q90). For the moment, it's great ! Mostly charging at home (slow 2.2 kW) or on public chargers (22 kW).
Because "Matth" was already taken.

Offline coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #426 on: July 16, 2021, 07:35:45 pm »
Hey, I recently got a Renault Zoé (For those playing at home, it's a 2017 41 kW.h Q90). For the moment, it's great ! Mostly charging at home (slow 2.2 kW) or on public chargers (22 kW).
I looked inside one of those for the first time last week. Its surprisingly roomy length wise, but uncomfortably narrow. Has it been designed that narrow to keep it's drag down, because another 100mm to 150mm of width would make it a much more comfortable car.

Offline richard.cs

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics engineer from Southampton, UK.
    • Random stuff I've built (mostly non-electronic and fairly dated).
« Reply #427 on: July 18, 2021, 12:00:22 pm »
I hadn't thought the Zoe particularly narrow, feels pretty much the same as any other modern car of that general style to me (i.e. kinda wide compared to the 90s/early 2000s cars I grew up with).

Offline joule

• civilpedia
« Reply #428 on: August 20, 2021, 08:39:05 am »
my experience has been great

1248517-0

I love that it's easy to fix and i can put my e trike in it

Offline jh15

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #429 on: September 10, 2021, 03:28:17 am »
What needs to be fixed all the time?

zip tied license plate hehe. In my first year of driving,  I got pulled over in mt parent;s car for wired on, not bolted plate, a shock hanging in the breeze (a mechanic friend had replaced them days before.

Not sure if in my state, I could have zip tied a plate to my Tesla S. Biggest repair, Tesla did it in my driveway was the front bracket fell off on the highway after a local shop repainted the bumper after a valet parker bashed it up.
     What needs fixing on your electric?
4 years, out of warranty now. Let the fun begin. (wallet quivering).
Tek 575 curve trcr top shape, Tek 535, Tek 465. Tek 545 Hickok clone, Tesla Model S,  Ohio Scientific c24P SBC, c-64's from club days, Giant electric bicycle, Rigol stuff, Heathkit AR-15's. Heathkit ET- 3400a trainer&interface. Starlink pizza.

Offline not1xor1

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #430 on: October 09, 2021, 04:23:16 pm »
I looked inside one of those for the first time last week. Its surprisingly roomy length wise, but uncomfortably narrow. Has it been designed that narrow to keep it's drag down, because another 100mm to 150mm of width would make it a much more comfortable car.

I got a new ZOE (R110 zen - 52kWh) last month. It is a bit wider and longer than my previous Honda Jazz but I've got the feeling that the ZOE is less roomy inside.

I've driven it for just 300kms, but so far looks great and ... eats just 12,9kWh/100km... not so hungry...  :)
I charged it just once at 230VAC 10A (Heidelberg wall box).

Now I'd like to find a solution for the proximity key security (lack of)... any idea? Enclose it in a Faraday cage ?  :)
« Last Edit: October 09, 2021, 05:55:44 pm by not1xor1 »

Offline richard.cs

• Super Contributor
« Reply #431 on: October 09, 2021, 09:11:18 pm »
On my Zoe (2016) if you lock it with the button it disables the proximity stuff until you start the car with the key in the slot.

Offline not1xor1

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #432 on: October 11, 2021, 08:57:57 am »
On my Zoe (2016) if you lock it with the button it disables the proximity stuff until you start the car with the key in the slot.

The new ZOE has no button on the door handle (unless you are referring to the buttons on the key-card).
Anyway as far as I can remember one can still disable the proximity function (I've to check the manual yet).

Unless I've misunderstood that, while a proximity key hack (Relay Station Attack) requires two people and allows to start the car, cloning the open/close door code might be even simpler (but it would be more difficult to start the car).

In any case I've seen that even an aluminium foil makes the proximity key unable to open the car.
Probably the best solution depends on the circumstances.

Offline richard.cs

• Super Contributor
« Reply #433 on: October 11, 2021, 09:35:31 am »

The new ZOE has no button on the door handle (unless you are referring to the buttons on the key-card).
Anyway as far as I can remember one can still disable the proximity function (I've to check the manual yet).
Sorry, I wasn't very clear, on the older Zoe if you use the lock button on the remote to lock the car, it temporarily disables proximity. This is documented in the manual. On my Zoe the remote has 4 buttons and an emergency key - lock, unlock, A/C, and charge-flap.

I guess the new Zoe replaces the door handle button with some sort of capacitive touch sensor but is otherwise similar?

Offline not1xor1

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #434 on: October 12, 2021, 09:25:44 am »
Sorry, I wasn't very clear, on the older Zoe if you use the lock button on the remote to lock the car, it temporarily disables proximity. This is documented in the manual. On my Zoe the remote has 4 buttons and an emergency key - lock, unlock, A/C, and charge-flap.

I guess the new Zoe replaces the door handle button with some sort of capacitive touch sensor but is otherwise similar?

The new remote has unlock, lock, switch on car lights, trunk-unlock buttons.
I found the manual has several errors and/or is outdated... e.g.
press twice the lock button to open the car and close the windows  :-//
I've not tried yet, but that makes no sense... they probably meant close the car and the windows...
The unlock button should also work to disengage the charge cable.
I've not got enough time to test all the car features yet...

Offline richard.cs

• Super Contributor
« Reply #435 on: October 12, 2021, 09:33:42 am »
I wonder if it's a translation problem, I've noticed a few of those (perverse English-language warning messages for example). Surprising for such a major manufacturer. Perhaps it's worth seeing if the French section of the manual is clearer?

Offline not1xor1

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #436 on: October 14, 2021, 10:57:12 am »
I wonder if it's a translation problem, I've noticed a few of those (perverse English-language warning messages for example). Surprising for such a major manufacturer. Perhaps it's worth seeing if the French section of the manual is clearer?

I googled for an updated manual but there is none. Besides that I could not find any way to close the car windows when locking the car. A double press on the lock button does nothing.

I've ordered the renault burglar arlarm and rear view camera accessories. I'd better check everything and make a list of the ineffective features so when I'll bring the car to the dealer to assemble those accessories and will ask them what is wrong.

OK I got the English manual (they gave me the Italian one of course):
Pressing the 4 button twice locks the
vehicle and enables the closure of the
front and rear windows (depending on
the vehicle).

so I guess my ZOE (R110 ZEN) just lacks the windows closure feature...
« Last Edit: October 14, 2021, 11:30:19 am by not1xor1 »

Offline M0HZH

• Regular Contributor
    • QRPblog
« Reply #437 on: December 15, 2021, 08:38:25 pm »
Driving a 2021 Renault Captur E-Tech 160 now, which is a plug-in hybrid: 1.6 petrol engine, two EV motors and a 9.6kWh battery. The EV range is about 30 miles but it's quite efficient in hybrid mode, doing 50-55mpg. As a comparison, in similar scenarios my previous car (BMW 318d) did around 45mpg and the other car (BMW 335i convertible) does about 15mpg :).

Charging time is about 3 hours which is not ideal, especially as I can't charge at home and public chargers around here aren't properly managed (=most don't work).

As for it being a Renault, you can expect the typical "cheap" feel, the most frustrating being the slooooow touchscreen system. Boot space is small but at least the driving position is OK even for a big guy like me (1m97 or 6'5" for those playing along in non metric system countries).

Offline richard.cs

• Super Contributor
« Reply #438 on: December 15, 2021, 08:45:58 pm »
...a 9.6kWh battery. The EV range is about 30 miles...
Charging time is about 3 hours which is not ideal...
30 miles on a 9.6 kWh battery feels a little low to me, but it depends how you drive I guess. 3 hour charging would imply charging at about 3 kW? Really, not even 7 kW? That's a bit pants, fine for overnight for those people who can but as you say pretty poor for making use of public chargers.

the most frustrating being the slooooow touchscreen system.
Still?! There was me thinking the more recent Renaults would have sorted this by now.

Offline M0HZH

• Regular Contributor
    • QRPblog
« Reply #439 on: December 15, 2021, 09:44:34 pm »
Well, the "pure EV" range of 30 miles is really urban range, as over 40mph (I think) the ICE kicks in anyway and it goes in hybrid mode. It is charging at 3.6kW unfortunately, not ideal as most public chargers around here suport 7kW. It also has a Sport mode where the ICE acts as a generator and tries to charge the battery as much as possible, even idles at considerably higher rpm.

Yes, the touchscreen still slow. It could use a major software update also, doesn't even remember important settings / preferences for different users (like mirror position, dashboard arrangement, sound settings etc), important settings are hidden or not available (like a button to mute the Satnav voice), some physical buttons don't work until the system has fully booted up etc etc.

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #440 on: December 15, 2021, 10:03:59 pm »
It I don't know if Renault have been striving for cost savings or weight saving but it looks as if they have gone a little too far on the ZOE... https://www.itv.com/news/meridian/2021-12-10/car-crash-tests-sees-zero-rating-for-renault-model-but-how-safe-is-your-car
Best Regards, Chris

"Victor Meldrew, the Crimson Avenger!"

Offline M0HZH

• Regular Contributor
    • QRPblog
« Reply #441 on: December 15, 2021, 10:17:27 pm »
Euro NCAP safety ratings are extremely misleading lately. They now give points in 4 areas and the overall score is based on the worst of all 4.

Specifically, Zoe got an average score in 3 areas but only 14% for Safety Assist, because it doesn't have auto-braking, lane assist, a speed limit warning/limiter in the menus or rear passenger seatbelt reminder.

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #442 on: December 15, 2021, 10:25:06 pm »
I agree, but deleting a critical airbag is rather dumb when the previous model scored 5 stars. https://www.thecarexpert.co.uk/renault-zoe-slated-for-poor-safety-score/

Sorry, a bit of a diversion, but it triggered a memory from the news the other day. The story also seems to indicate that the (Renault owned) Dacia Spring may be the same car as the ZOE, but with that airbag retained [Edit... so some hope for a recall and retrofit].
« Last Edit: December 15, 2021, 10:54:05 pm by Gyro »
Best Regards, Chris

"Victor Meldrew, the Crimson Avenger!"

Offline Watth

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #443 on: December 17, 2021, 10:10:19 am »
I agree, but deleting a critical airbag is rather dumb when the previous model scored 5 stars. https://www.thecarexpert.co.uk/renault-zoe-slated-for-poor-safety-score/

Sorry, a bit of a diversion, but it triggered a memory from the news the other day. The story also seems to indicate that the (Renault owned) Dacia Spring may be the same car as the ZOE, but with that airbag retained [Edit... so some hope for a recall and retrofit].
I see you scored the part about the Dacia, because having drive-tested it I can confirm these are two very different vehicles.
Because "Matth" was already taken.

The following users thanked this post: Gyro

Offline kaz911

• Super Contributor
« Reply #444 on: December 17, 2021, 10:43:56 am »
Electric chain saws work very well until you accidentally cut the power cord.  I have one for use around my property.  Prefer it over the gas one.  Electric and battery chain saws will never replace electric.  I can’t see someone 100 feet up a tree with a 100 foot extension cord.  Or your 100 feet up a tree when the battery on your chain saw dies.   Other issue with electric chain saws is I just can’t seem to find an outlet in the wooded part of my property.

Issue with a broom is the just don’t work as well or as quickly as a leaf blower.  I have an electric leaf blower and in 5 minutes I can clean an area that would take 45 minutes to sweep.  While I’m not a fan of the noisy gas powered ones, I do understand there usefulness.

I have the Milwaukee electric "garden" tools including chain saw head. It runs for about 1 to 1 1/2 hour on an old 5Ah Milwaukee battery. It has been used to prune my neighbours lovely leylandii trees hanging over my garden wall. I'm very happy with it.

Offline boffinTopic starter

• Supporter
« Reply #445 on: December 17, 2021, 11:19:54 pm »

I see you scored the part about the Dacia, because having drive-tested it I can confirm these are two very different vehicles.

And it couldn't have been "GREAT NEWS" unless it was about the Sandero

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #446 on: December 17, 2021, 11:40:13 pm »
It seems not all are pleased with their EV's:

Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #447 on: December 18, 2021, 12:07:31 am »

Finnish Widlarization?  :D

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #448 on: December 18, 2021, 12:24:01 am »

At 20,000 Euro for a new battery to replace the dud one, well what would you do ?  :popcorn:
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: SilverSolder

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #449 on: December 18, 2021, 12:51:03 am »

At 20,000 Euro for a new battery to replace the dud one, well what would you do ?  :popcorn:

Somehow, a tankful of bad fuel seems a little cheaper to fix...

The whole longevity issue is a "thing", that younger people probably won't appreciate until they've experienced it.  For example, I like it when my 30 year old leaf blower ($50 Craigslist find) with a 5hp Briggs starts on the first pull (it is just new enough to have electronic ignition, which was a big advance for small engines), and performs like a champ...   How will a 30 year old Lithium Ion implement perform, one wonders?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf