Electronics > Power/Renewable Energy/EV's

Electric Car Experiences

<< < (92/106) > >>

SilverSolder:

--- Quote from: aheid on December 22, 2021, 10:34:21 pm ---Not strictly EV related... our i3 got hit by another car in an intersection recently.

We got hit almost square on the rear wheel, so only minor damage to the body panels and rear door were visible. Not a mark on the rims. However the impact was big enough that our car got thrown a meter or so away and rotated 90 degrees in the process...

When the repair shop started repairs they noticed a crack in the carbon fiber monocoque, and with that the car written off. So now we're gonna spend xmas looking for a new car...

To make this a bit more on topic, I'll note what we really liked about the i3:

- No center console blocking driver and passenger seats. So handy when parking in tight spots to be able to easily scoot over to the passenger side to get out, for example. Also nice for putting stuff, like a purse etc.

- Physical knobs and buttons for important stuff. This is going to be a real pain point with potential candidates it seems. As an example, i just watched a video about the new Hyundai Ioniq 5, need to navigate two menus to get to a "button" on the touch screen to operate the seat warmers... wtf?! We live in Norway, seat warmer settings will be changed many times per day for at least a third of a year. Also winter = gloves and/or dry hands, neither which work particularly well with touch sensors.

- For a city car the range was all we needed. We've been on multiple holidays with it and had no issue with the range. While we'll likely get a car with a longer range, it won't be at the top of our list.

- Excellent turning radius, very practical in a city car.

--- End quote ---

Doesn't sound like it takes much of an accident to write a car off these days?

aheid:

--- Quote from: SilverSolder on December 23, 2021, 12:39:12 am ---Doesn't sound like it takes much of an accident to write a car off these days?

--- End quote ---
It did come as a bit of a surprise, though I definitely thought it surely would be more than just bodywork damage. After all the 1300 kg worth of car was thrown around by the impact, it wasn't shoved.

coppice:

--- Quote from: aheid on December 23, 2021, 12:47:17 am ---
--- Quote from: SilverSolder on December 23, 2021, 12:39:12 am ---Doesn't sound like it takes much of an accident to write a car off these days?

--- End quote ---
It did come as a bit of a surprise, though I definitely thought it surely would be more than just bodywork damage. After all the 1300 kg worth of car was thrown around by the impact, it wasn't shoved.

--- End quote ---
Composite and laminated structures can be very troublesome in accidents. They are usually super strong, but when the stress gets too much for them they don't fail with much grace. For a seriously expensive composite structure, like the body of a 787 aircraft, being able to minimise the chance of an impact writing off the entire aircraft is a key issue in making the product viable. I assume BMW only built the i3 that way because they didn't expect it to reach high volume.

abquke:
Hiya. New to forum. I got a 2020 Chevy Bolt last October and have been super happy with it. Particularly happy lately with having an EV along with household solar.

NiHaoMike:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version