Author Topic: Forgot to track ramp signal back to PFC controller  (Read 762 times)

Offline FaringdonTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Forgot to track ramp signal back to PFC controller
« on: July 13, 2022, 12:04:47 pm »
Hi,
Just  designed and layed out a 2Kw PFC’d PSU.
PFC controller is UCC28070A.
I have forgotten to track in the ramp signal back to the PFC controller PCB. I added the ramp producing circuit to the PFC gate drive PCB, but forgot to track the ramp back to the controller.
(The Current sense transformer burden resistors are [now] on the PFC controller PCB)
Do you think it’ll be OK to twisted pair wire  the ramp signal (with ground obviously)  back to the controller…or would you say too much noise would result?
UCC28070A.
https://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/ucc28070a.pdf?ts=1657631997285&ref_url=https%253A%252F%252Fwww.google.com%252F

(The ramp is needed to reduce mains input current distortion. It is only needed near the mains zero crossings, and during light load)
'Perfection' is the enemy of 'perfectly satisfactory'

The following users thanked this post: pardo-bsso

Offline pardo-bsso

• Regular Contributor
Re: Forgot to track ramp signal back to PFC controller
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2022, 12:52:56 am »
No.
One maybe.
Many no.

Do your views disagree?

Yours truly.

Offline FaringdonTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2022, 08:30:42 am »
Thanks, I must admit, i do have a capacitor of an RC filter on the CS pin, so it "should" be OK.
But in a 2kW  offline PSU, having signals on a wire (albeit twisted pair) and bringing that wire right to the CS pin of the UCC28070A sends shivers down my spine a little.

Getting the board re-done will cost some £250 incl shipping, and takes maybe up to 3 Weeks.....(i  dont know why, maybe the weight, (5.6kg for five) but it got stuck in customs for a while , even though i eventiually payed the customs fee)..other (smaller) PCBs from China came much quicker.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2022, 09:28:29 am by Faringdon »
'Perfection' is the enemy of 'perfectly satisfactory'

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2022, 06:01:18 pm »
It would be unrealistic to expect not to have to do one or more board passes. It is sensible to find and work around (where feasible) as many errors as possible first though.
Best Regards, Chris

The following users thanked this post: pardo-bsso, Faringdon

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf