Electronics > Power/Renewable Energy/EV's

Good affordable isolation transformer + variac or AC PSU?

(1/2) > >>

nimish:
See title. It's either $500 Staco/ISE stuff or sketchy $100 shenzhen special.

Would like something that I can easily step down 115v with and also won't cause my lisn and other stuff to trip GFCI AND won't also kill me.

bdunham7:
How much power?  The BK Precision 1655 shows up on eBay for $200-ish if you are patient.  That's good for 3A and has a nice meter and leakage testing.  The smaller 1653 is 2A and has less features.  The 'A' models are newer and made in Taiwan, AFAIK they are functionally identical although they appear different.

jonpaul:
Variac >>>1kva 120/240 1:1 isolation  from Signal Transformers

No need for power synthesizer

j

ledtester:
Another item to keep a lookout for is the Heathkit IP-5220 - can do 3A on the isolated output.

edavid:

--- Quote from: bdunham7 on January 22, 2023, 10:08:26 pm ---How much power?  The BK Precision 1655 shows up on eBay for $200-ish if you are patient.  That's good for 3A and has a nice meter and leakage testing.  The smaller 1653 is 2A and has less features.  The 'A' models are newer and made in Taiwan, AFAIK they are functionally identical although they appear different.

--- End quote ---

I get a lot of use out of my B+K 1655, but the metering does not work very well.  I got tired of recalibrating the voltage range and added marks to the variac dial instead.  If I had paid $200 for it instead of $30, I would have more trouble forgiving that.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version