Author Topic: HELP selecting choke for AC-DC module  (Read 266 times)

Offline ETITsynthesizer

• Contributor
HELP selecting choke for AC-DC module
« on: June 27, 2020, 01:24:15 pm »
I have here a common mode choke wired for differential mode. this AC-DC module from mornsun specs 150mA ripple max. I think putting the cap before the choke is going to provide more ripple attenuation compared to after the choke. maybe I am wrong. this feeds into multiple power distribution boards maybe two of them that have 470uF at each input. max capacitive load for the AC-DC brick is 7000uF. everything is rated for 2.6A max continuous output. 10C delta is acceptable. also, if you have suggestions for the PCB go ahead. 2oz copper no thermals 2 sided but with traces on one side.

Offline duak

• Frequent Contributor
Re: HELP selecting choke for AC-DC module
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2020, 11:05:38 pm »
Common mode chokes generally have medium to high permeability cores.  When used in common mode, any DC or low frequency currents should run through in opposite directions to cancel out so there is no net flux.  When used in differential mode the DC or low frequency currents add and usually cause the core to saturate and its net inductance drops to a far lower than expected value - perhaps as low as 1/100 of its specified value.  If you really want some series inductance you'll have to get parts that have larger cores that are capable of operating with a DC current as high as your load current.

Offline ETITsynthesizer

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2020, 02:21:36 pm »
those differential mode chokes for DC are really big and really expensive. I already ordered the PCB. the core material from kemet is proprietary low permeability. at 65KHz from my SMPS, this common mode choke is rated to have an impedance of 10K. at 1/100 that would be 100 Ohms. this is perfect for my application. probably this is a hack that no electrical engineer would attempt, but I think it may be perfect for my application when no better options exist for this price and this package size. I already ordered the PCB's. no turning back now. the choke power rating is 4A or 5A. I am only passing 2.6A max. is this ok?

Offline duak

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: Yesterday at 06:54:31 pm »
I don't know what your load is so If the choke presents a greater impedance at lower DC currents will it cause a problem?  Could it resonate with the load's capacitance?  It's generally not a good idea for a power source to have an output impedance with a significant inductive component.  It's a variable that I'd prefer to not have to deal with.

However, when you get this thing together, observe the voltages after the choke under varying combinations of frequency and current to see what's there.  If you find some sort of instability, you might be able to modify the choke by reducing the number of turns.  The inductance at full load current won't change much, but it'll reduce the inductance at low current considerably as inductance is a function of the square of the number of turns.

Let us know how it goes.

Offline ETITsynthesizer

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: Today at 01:33:05 am »
ok great. that implies that the attenuation would be really good at low currents? so in theory 100mA load on the 15v output with 150mV ripple would attenuate at >80dB? the DC component is still 0.100 Ohms in each coil. or am I wrong on the DC impedance?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf