Author Topic: How does one set up a safe HV power electronics lab ?  (Read 2721 times)

Offline LinuxGuy123Topic starter

• Contributor
How does one set up a safe HV power electronics lab ?
« on: October 01, 2023, 01:18:57 am »
I need to do a bunch of design and testing on some 800V power conversion equipment.  I'll be working at the circuit board level.

I need to set up a lab in which to safely do this work.   I need to write an employee handbook on how to safely do this work.

Where do I start ?  What advice do you have for me ?

Thanks

Offline f4eru

• Super Contributor
    • Chargehanger
Re: How does one set up a safe HV power electronics lab ?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2023, 08:37:53 am »
2 ways to do IMHO:
1) write simple concise rules with a few precautions, that are probably not enough to cover all cases, but help to get you covered.
2) write extensive rules that nobody will follow.

In all cases :
- get first help training for all people, and equipment ready (defib, eye wash, ....)
- don't be shy to put enough protections (emergancy cutoffs, 30mA differential, gloves, googles, protected bananas....)
- put a medical examination mandatory for every electrisation, however light.
- always require 2 persons present to do work.

Offline mzzj

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2023, 02:46:16 pm »
Closer to 100W or 100kW power level?
800V voltage level might point  to latter and creates it's own problems. You need to start thinking of arc/blast shields, hearing protection, test chambers etc. 

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2023, 03:10:21 pm »
I need to do a bunch of design and testing on some 800V power conversion equipment.  I'll be working at the circuit board level.

I need to set up a lab in which to safely do this work.   I need to write an employee handbook on how to safely do this work.

Where do I start ?  What advice do you have for me ?
Where to start? At the end  8)  I assume your product will need to be certified at some point. I'd start with calling a company that does the certifications and ask them how they deal with safety. Maybe ask for a tour at their facility. That should result in some pointers and maybe referrals to experts you can hire to setup your own lab. Maybe even provide training for the workforce that needs to deal with testing.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2023, 03:14:19 pm by nctnico »
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2023, 03:29:01 pm »
This is liability risk. I would offload the risk and at least hire a short term electrical health and safety contractor to set up the environment, do training, guides and stuff.
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

The following users thanked this post: nctnico

Offline jonpaul

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2023, 05:39:22 am »
Bonjour a tous: 800V at what power thruput level?

Power electronics is a specalty, mistakes in design, protos, magnetics and test technique can damage the DUT, test equipment and the technician or engineer.

800 V IS LETHAL.

It takes many years of experience and study to develop the skills needed for effective design, magnetic design, propt and debugging of power electronics.

Afterwards, compliance for EMI, safety, reliability are a long process are requires specal equipment.

Depending on the applications and funds avail, consider to hire a lab or consultant with prooven track record in the field.

Just the ramblings of any old EE (56 years experience)

Jon

PS: IEEE PELS: https://www.ieee-pels.org/
Jean-Paul  the Internet Dinosaur

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf