Electronics > Power/Renewable Energy/EV's

How to get more than rated current from 240v home GPO sockets?

<< < (5/6) > >>

james_s:

--- Quote from: tggzzz on September 10, 2021, 07:59:13 pm ---More or less the same here. A key question is whether a professional would be prepared to accept liability for putting their stamp on the work of a "random stranger".

--- End quote ---

Do they have that choice? Here the work either meets code or it doesn't. The inspector can't just fail it because they don't like the person that did the work, they have to call out what's wrong with it. There are lots of nitpicky things they can call out but if you dot your i's and cross your t's it isn't too hard to get it passed. A large part of it is just attention to detail, use the right materials and do neat, tidy work and it will be safe, reliable and legal.

tggzzz:

--- Quote from: james_s on September 10, 2021, 10:35:17 pm ---
--- Quote from: tggzzz on September 10, 2021, 07:59:13 pm ---More or less the same here. A key question is whether a professional would be prepared to accept liability for putting their stamp on the work of a "random stranger".

--- End quote ---

Do they have that choice? Here the work either meets code or it doesn't. The inspector can't just fail it because they don't like the person that did the work, they have to call out what's wrong with it. There are lots of nitpicky things they can call out but if you dot your i's and cross your t's it isn't too hard to get it passed. A large part of it is just attention to detail, use the right materials and do neat, tidy work and it will be safe, reliable and legal.

--- End quote ---

There is a big difference between saying something has a fault and saying that something doesn't have a fault. The former is easy; the latter very problematic. That's often summed up by the concept that it is more or less impossible to prove a negative.

themadhippy:

--- Quote ---More or less the same here. A key question is whether a professional would be prepared to accept liability for putting their stamp on the work of a "random stranger".
--- End quote ---
The cartel dons  who run the the uk scam  all tell there members not to sign off third party work,you can register the work with the council for a fee,,but  they often wont sign off the work unless you obtain a test certificate from,you've guessed it,an approved cartel member.

james_s:
Well if they make it too difficult to get a well done job through an inspection all that happens is people stop pulling permits and stop getting work inspected and then nobody catches the stuff that isn't done properly either. A certain percentage of people either can't afford or refuse to hire a pro and are going to do it themselves. I would prefer they have the information, materials and other resources available to do the job right. Personally I get a great enough satisfaction out of doing the work myself that it is extremely rare that I would ever hire a tradesman. Not to mention some of the absolutely horrid work I've cleaned up that was done by "professional" tradesmen.

geggi1:

--- Quote from: ahbushnell on September 09, 2021, 10:39:56 am ---
--- Quote from: geggi1 on September 09, 2021, 05:32:48 am ---The only safe option is to install a socket with enough capacaty for the load.
Your load will require just short of 17A and to get a bit of overhead I would recommend going for a 25A socket.
If you do any creative stuff like paralelling outlets and get a fire you can just forget to get anything of your insurance.

--- End quote ---
It's more then the socket.  The wire in the wall also.

--- End quote ---
Yes that is implied if the cable sizes is the same as her in Norway you will have to install a 4mm2 or 6mm2 depending on the cable lenght.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version