Author Topic: How to get more than rated current from 240v home GPO sockets?  (Read 3756 times)

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
Re: How to get more than rated current from 240v home GPO sockets?
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2021, 07:51:16 am »
A certain percentage of people either can't afford or refuse to hire a pro and are going to do it themselves. I would prefer they have the information, materials and other resources available to do the job right.

Yup, that's a classic dilemma.

Unfortunately the Dunning Kruger effect is real and has to be addressed, however imperfectly.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Online Brumby

• Supporter
Re: How to get more than rated current from 240v home GPO sockets?
« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2021, 12:00:00 am »
Notice that your insurance WILL NOT cover unlicensed and dangerous electrical wiring or experiments.

That depends on the local laws. Here in the US for example it is perfectly legal for somebody like myself who is not a licensed electrician to do wiring. It has to be inspected and signed off just like if it is done by a licensed electrician but as long as a person knows what they're doing this is not a problem. Electrical wiring is not particularly difficult.
In NSW at least, local laws prohibit anyone who is not a licenced electrician from doing any work on fixed electrical wiring - which covers everything inside the walls of buildings and other permanently wired fixtures such as split system air conditioning.  Equipment that plugs into a wall socket has no such restriction.

I can appreciate the skepticism of my abilities, when I ask questions that might sound stupid.
You asked.  That is testament to your abilities to think.  :-+

Nonetheless when it's something potentially dangerous and I'm not certain about it, I try to err on the side of caution and ask the questions even if they sound stupid and simple.
We see inquiries that have grave safety implications and offering advice through a global forum has its challenges - both in differences of regulations and the ever problematic process of accurately communicating the (potentially) not-so-straightforward details of a subject to someone without the feedback an apprentice would get with the mentor at their side.  All this to someone of unknown skill.

Like I said earlier, I don't tend to work with mains AC. Also, as I mentioned, I'm getting an Electrician friend who deals with this stuff for a living to do it, so you guys don't need to worry about safety.
That is the correct direction to take.   :-+  :-+

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf