Electronics > Power/Renewable Energy/EV's

How to get more than rated current from 240v home GPO sockets?

<< < (6/6)

tggzzz:

--- Quote from: james_s on September 11, 2021, 02:47:38 am ---A certain percentage of people either can't afford or refuse to hire a pro and are going to do it themselves. I would prefer they have the information, materials and other resources available to do the job right.

--- End quote ---

Yup, that's a classic dilemma.

Unfortunately the Dunning Kruger effect is real and has to be addressed, however imperfectly.

Brumby:

--- Quote from: james_s on September 10, 2021, 07:02:32 pm ---
--- Quote from: jonpaul on September 10, 2021, 06:19:45 am ---Notice that your insurance WILL NOT cover unlicensed and dangerous electrical wiring or experiments.

--- End quote ---

That depends on the local laws. Here in the US for example it is perfectly legal for somebody like myself who is not a licensed electrician to do wiring. It has to be inspected and signed off just like if it is done by a licensed electrician but as long as a person knows what they're doing this is not a problem. Electrical wiring is not particularly difficult.

--- End quote ---
In NSW at least, local laws prohibit anyone who is not a licenced electrician from doing any work on fixed electrical wiring - which covers everything inside the walls of buildings and other permanently wired fixtures such as split system air conditioning.  Equipment that plugs into a wall socket has no such restriction.

--- Quote from: ZeroCubic on September 10, 2021, 08:28:03 am ---I can appreciate the skepticism of my abilities, when I ask questions that might sound stupid.
--- End quote ---
You asked.  That is testament to your abilities to think.  :-+

--- Quote ---Nonetheless when it's something potentially dangerous and I'm not certain about it, I try to err on the side of caution and ask the questions even if they sound stupid and simple.
--- End quote ---
We see inquiries that have grave safety implications and offering advice through a global forum has its challenges - both in differences of regulations and the ever problematic process of accurately communicating the (potentially) not-so-straightforward details of a subject to someone without the feedback an apprentice would get with the mentor at their side.  All this to someone of unknown skill.

--- Quote ---
Like I said earlier, I don't tend to work with mains AC. Also, as I mentioned, I'm getting an Electrician friend who deals with this stuff for a living to do it, so you guys don't need to worry about safety.

--- End quote ---
That is the correct direction to take.   :-+  :-+

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version