Electronics > Power/Renewable Energy/EV's

How to test an IR2104/2111?

<< < (5/6) > >>

xavier60:
Is there a Vcc bypass capacitor near the IC? Some driver ICs can self-oscillate and damage themselves.

DELTA67:

--- Quote from: xavier60 on April 21, 2024, 08:48:21 am ---Is there a Vcc bypass capacitor near the IC? Some driver ICs can self-oscillate and damage themselves.

--- End quote ---
Yes

mtwieg:

--- Quote from: DELTA67 on April 19, 2024, 10:15:25 am ---Now I've changed the power Vcc to 14V, the chip get's very hot.
--- End quote ---
If a chip like this is noticeably warm in a test like this then it's been damaged, replace it and try again.

--- Quote ---Can the uC drive directly the chip or I must use a buffer?
--- End quote ---
The datasheet says it's 3.3V compatible, but also gives a max VIH of 3V. IMO that makes 3.3V too marginal, 5V should be plenty though. The drive current strength of ordinary MCUs should be plenty though.

--- Quote ---are these chips(IR2104/2111) cloned?

--- End quote ---
It's possible, but I doubt that alone explains what you're seeing. Most cloned/counterfeit chips actually do function similarly to the genuine article. At the very least they should not exhibit clear signs of damage (like self-heating in your case).

DELTA67:

--- Quote from: Andy Chee on April 20, 2024, 03:57:50 am --- you'll need to voltage translate the ATtiny to whatever the IR2111 is using.  ATtiny driving an open collector with pull-up, should do the trick.

--- End quote ---
YES, it works with the IR2111 @ 11V  and no warming, Thanks!
I've read the datasheet many times but I've never paid attention to the IN(put) level details. I thougt it's 3.3V compatible like the IR2104.
For the IR2104 I get only the LO output working with or without the level shifter.
No signal on the HO output.

DELTA67:

--- Quote from: wraper on April 20, 2024, 09:50:56 am ---you can just apply low/high level DC to its input and see if output changes.

--- End quote ---
A very good idea!
Here's the results @ 11V:
1- For the IR2111:
  IN = H (11V) ===> HO = 11V,  LO = 0V
  IN = L ===> HO = 0V,  LO = 11V

2- For the IR2104  (SD=5V):
  IN = H (5V) ===> HO = 11V,  LO = 0V
  IN = L ===> HO = 2.9V,  LO = 11V

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page