Author Topic: Intelligent product of Switch Mode Power Supplies?  (Read 798 times)

Offline FaringdonTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Intelligent product of Switch Mode Power Supplies?
« on: April 18, 2024, 05:21:14 pm »
Hi,
Do you agree that I must sell off my Power Supply company? I make  several switch mode power supplies which I sell to into the Horti-LED market.
Obviously, like pretty much all Switch Mode Power Supplies out there, there is no “secret IP” tied up in them. As you know,  virtually  all Switch Mode Power Supplies are no secret and their design details are  all over the web, and anyone could start making them, since its just general, well-known  electronics. As such, I have no “Intelligent product” which is of any value…anyone could start making my stuff and put me out of business. They wouldn’t even need to reverse engineer the power supplies that I make…I mean, they wouldn’t bother, they would just  design and make their own.
I mean, a general SMPS , as virtually all of them out there are, is no "Radar signal processor."
I once had a student working for me  who put my Schems on the web..people were surprised when i let him.....why not?...this stuff is all out there anyway.
It wouldnt be worth anybody copying someone else's switch mode power supply...because, to copy a switch mode power supply,
you need the full design capability of it...and if you have that, then why copy?..just make your own fresh power supply
for the spec

It’s the unfortunate thing about the Switch Mode Power Supply world that there really are no secrets out there. (well, maybe for things like Vicor Module internals, (but precious few power supply companys make that kind of thing). SMPS are, the mechanical equivalent of “Spanners and screwdrivers”….everybody can find out about them, and anyone can start making them to whatever spec.
Most UK power supply companys today anyway, are simply just token "entities", behind which sits the real money earner, the
"behind the scenes Chinese Power Supply import department". The UK switch mode power supply industry is virtually
entirely owned by China.

As such, I have been approached by a Chinese consortium, who have offered me a very large sum for the company. Do you think I should take the money? Has anyone been in this place and “not sold out”, and regretted it?

Also relevant...
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/general-analog-electronics-companies-must-stop-killing-themselves/
« Last Edit: April 18, 2024, 06:59:40 pm by Faringdon »
'Perfection' is the enemy of 'perfectly satisfactory'

Online mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
Re: Intelligent product of Switch Mode Power Supplies?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2024, 05:25:33 pm »
If sdomeone is stupid enough to buy a company which, by your own admission, has little intrinsic value, then absolutely take the money  and run.
All they are buying is your customer list.
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

The following users thanked this post: Faringdon

Offline FaringdonTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2024, 05:41:06 pm »
Thanks, i think thats what they want, yes. Maybe its a route into the market for their huge Chinese operation?
'Perfection' is the enemy of 'perfectly satisfactory'

Online Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2024, 06:55:21 pm »
Yet another conspiracy, linking another conspiracy thread. Your company is a complete work of fiction, you're just a contractor.
Best Regards, Chris

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2024, 07:41:10 pm »
Hi,
Do you agree that I must sell off my Power Supply company?
As such, I have been approached by a Chinese consortium, who have offered me a very large sum for the company. Do you think I should take the money? Has anyone been in this place and “not sold out”, and regretted it?

Nobody buys "a company". They buy IP, goodwill, a customer base, etc.

So, does your company have any of those? :)

Anyway, yes, you should sell your company, and use the proceeds to retire to a desert island.

Then you will have no reason to peddle your slightly warmed over conspiracy theories.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline mzzj

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2024, 08:08:15 pm »
You should link couple of Faringdon/treez threads here in EEVBLOG to show your competence and up the sales prices.

Online ejeffrey

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2024, 08:34:54 pm »
I don't know anyone who has sold their company outright and regretted it.  I know several people who have sold controlling interest to investors / VCs and regretted that, but that's a different situation.

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2024, 09:20:47 pm »
As such, I have been approached by a Chinese consortium, who have offered me a very large sum for the company. Do you think I should take the money?

What's the name of this company of yours?

It may benefit you if you tell us: we might be able to encourage a bidding war. If the company exists, that is.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2024, 09:23:57 pm by tggzzz »
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf