Author Topic: Is lasting damage to Li-ion coin cells poss w/ short exposure to freezing temp?  (Read 2008 times)

Offline yrmzziTopic starter

• ZeroPoster
    • divesummit.com
I have many lithium coin cell batteries like Sony CR2450,  Energizer CR2430, Duracell CR2, Saft LS14250 in my stock.

I sell battery kits for various scuba diving computers and this fall I will be going on a road trip to Pennsylvania and will be camping some nights where the night time temps will dip below 0 Degrees Celsius (32°F)  during the night and back up to 10 Degrees Celsius (50°F)  during the day. 

I understand its best practice to store lithium coin cell batteries at around room temperature but will exposing these batteries over several days to -4°C to  0°C   (25°F to  32°F)  night time temps for a few hours each day cause any lasting damage for when they are eventually used??

The batteries will not be used during the time that they are in this cold environment. I will be storing these batteries in an air tight insulated container but this only retains so much heat.

All the spec sheets for these batteries show -30°C to 60°C   ( -22°F to 140°F) as the Recommended Operating Temperature.

Will being exposed for a short time over a few days to below freezing temps cause lasting damage, or am I being paranoid?

Thanks,

Jon
« Last Edit: November 01, 2023, 03:05:03 am by yrmzzi »

Online Siwastaja

• Super Contributor
Note, your title says li-ion cells but images show primary lithium (metal) non-rechargeable cells. Totally different thing.

Anyway, as far as I know, there is no damage mechanism on lithium (or lithium-ion, or NiMH, or NiCd, or alkaline, or nearly any other battery chemistry) cells even at temperatures as low as -30degC (counterexample: lead acid (car battery) can freeze already at -20degC if not fully charged; but it would be destroyed by sulfation anyway if left uncharged).

Quite the opposite, the colder it is, the slower self-degradation gets, increasing shelf life. Although lithium metal cells have very low degradation rate to begin with so there is not much to gain.

Of course, in extreme cases (think about -50degC where the batteries are not tested at) there might be some weird non-chemistry related stuff like differences in thermal expansion of different materials used in the cell, brittleness of some seals or something like that, I don't know.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2023, 08:08:51 am by Siwastaja »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf